Sep 3, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
But what he really wants to do is produce.
LeBron James and long-time manager and business partner Maverick Carter have teamed up with Tom Werner (“The Cosby Show,” “Roseanne”) and actor Mike O’Malley to produce a show for the Starz network, reports the Associated Press. Don’t laugh, it seems all the best and most interesting new television is off cable networks lately.
The show has themes from LeBron’s life. Called “Survivor’s Remorse” it is the story of two guys who get out of Philadelphia’s inner city and make it big, with plenty of money and fame. The story is about their adjustment to that new life while so many people they know back home struggle. I think we can call it semi-autobiographical (in the sense that “Entourage” was based on Mark Wahlberg’s life).
LeBron dabbled in media matters before, remember there was “The LeBrons.” Hopefully for him this goes better.
Good on LeBron for reaching out and trying something different. Some people seem to want their basketball stars to be of single focus — we as a society idolize and venerate people with a singular focus in their life, whether it is basketball or making sushi.
I think that can make for tedious, dull human beings. The world is better off for people who have varied interests, who try and do different things. You should have a passion that drives you to strive to be great at something, but that is different than being one-dimensional. LeBron, to his credit, is more than just basketball.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49