Sep 3, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
But what he really wants to do is produce.
LeBron James and long-time manager and business partner Maverick Carter have teamed up with Tom Werner (“The Cosby Show,” “Roseanne”) and actor Mike O’Malley to produce a show for the Starz network, reports the Associated Press. Don’t laugh, it seems all the best and most interesting new television is off cable networks lately.
The show has themes from LeBron’s life. Called “Survivor’s Remorse” it is the story of two guys who get out of Philadelphia’s inner city and make it big, with plenty of money and fame. The story is about their adjustment to that new life while so many people they know back home struggle. I think we can call it semi-autobiographical (in the sense that “Entourage” was based on Mark Wahlberg’s life).
LeBron dabbled in media matters before, remember there was “The LeBrons.” Hopefully for him this goes better.
Good on LeBron for reaching out and trying something different. Some people seem to want their basketball stars to be of single focus — we as a society idolize and venerate people with a singular focus in their life, whether it is basketball or making sushi.
I think that can make for tedious, dull human beings. The world is better off for people who have varied interests, who try and do different things. You should have a passion that drives you to strive to be great at something, but that is different than being one-dimensional. LeBron, to his credit, is more than just basketball.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 10
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 26
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 13
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15