Sep 3, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
This weekend, Gary Payton heads into the Hall of Fame. As it should be.
What I love about this top 10 put together by NBA.com is that it includes some defensive plays and some passes. He’s famed for his defense (he thinks John Stockton was his toughest cover), but he averaged 16.3 points and 6.7 assists per game over his career — he could run a team and knew how to make plays.
Enjoy. It’s going to be a fun week looking back at some of the game’s greats.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 13
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19