Sep 3, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
Jared Sullinger turned himself Tuesday to police in Waltham (a city 10 miles outside the heart of Boston) and was quickly arraigned on charges of battery, malicious destruction of property and witness intimidation in a domestic abuse case involving in incident with his girlfriend on Saturday night.
The judge set the bail at $5,000 and by the time you are reading this Sullinger has been out of jail and is home keeping his head down (let’s hope).
Sullinger released a statement through the Celtics, here it is in its entirety:
“I voluntarily reported to the Waltham police this morning to respond to charges against me. The experience was humbling and embarrassing for me. Yet I know that this situation has brought both sorrow and embarrassment to my girlfriend, my family, the Boston Celtics organization, my teammates, and my fans. To all of you, I apologize from the bottom of my heart.”
“My lawyers have advised me not to discuss the case at this time. But I wanted to immediately and publicly apologize to everyone affected by this situation.”
His girlfriend reportedly told the courtroom the abuse had been verbal and building over the course of months but that it turned physical on Saturday when he pushed her. She did not ask for a stay away order.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)