Celtics’ Jared Sullinger releases statement on arrest

Sep 3, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT

Italy Celtics  EA7 Emporio Armani Basketball AP

Jared Sullinger turned himself Tuesday to police in Waltham (a city 10 miles outside the heart of Boston) and was quickly arraigned on charges of battery, malicious destruction of property and witness intimidation in a domestic abuse case involving in incident with his girlfriend on Saturday night.

The judge set the bail at $5,000 and by the time you are reading this Sullinger has been out of jail and is home keeping his head down (let’s hope).

Sullinger released a statement through the Celtics, here it is in its entirety:

“I voluntarily reported to the Waltham police this morning to respond to charges against me. The experience was humbling and embarrassing for me. Yet I know that this situation has brought both sorrow and embarrassment to my girlfriend, my family, the Boston Celtics organization, my teammates, and my fans. To all of you, I apologize from the bottom of my heart.”

“My lawyers have advised me not to discuss the case at this time. But I wanted to immediately and publicly apologize to everyone affected by this situation.”

His girlfriend reportedly told the courtroom the abuse had been verbal and building over the course of months but that it turned physical on Saturday when he pushed her. She did not ask for a stay away order.

1. kingwithringz - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

That’s what I call a “BuckEye”!! (BlackEye)

2. kingwithringz - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

That’s what I call a “BuckEye”!! (BlackEye)

3. seanb20124 - Sep 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Another Remy situation in Boston is brewing

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

No, Remy was a loose cannon made looser by steroids with a history of verrrry physical abuse. Sullinger is better by shades but he is still on the other end of the domestic abuse spectrum.

4. jcmeyer10 - Sep 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Ugh. I know this may be more symbolic given the trainwreck this season might be but please suspend Sullinger for 5-10 games.

Organizations need to show that domestic abuse can’t be forgotten by an apology written by a lawyer.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches