Sep 2, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
I first saw Nike’s new Hyperdunk 2013 that was designed specifically for Kyrie Irving while covering USA Basketball’s mini-camp in Las Vegas back in July. Irving had just finished the camp’s first day of activities wearing them, and while the shoe itself had been around in multiple colorways, the uniqueness of this particular pair definitely stood out.
It isn’t unusual for players to get specialized versions of a sneaker made just for them, and that’s what I thought these would be at the time. But the good folks at Nike decided to release them to the public for purchase over the weekend, and they gave us a little insight into the design process.
From the official release:
“Irving’s past and future is the main theme of Irving’s 2013 Hyperdunk as told through color and material. Born in Melbourne, Australia, where his father, Drederick, played professional basketball, Irving is proud of his roots. The green-toned teal and volt colorway is a futuristic take on Australia’s National basketball team colorway of green and yellow. Featured on the tongue and lining is a “wave” graphic that depicts the story of his travels overseas from Melbourne to New Jersey.
“From a design standpoint, Nike used inspiration from Irving’s off-court style highlighted by his admiration for rich, rustic materials with a modern flair. That insight is excentuated in the upper through a contemporary texture with a subtle metallic finish.”
The press photos appear in the gallery below, along with one I took of Irving’s personal pair that I got to see up close. They’re out of stock at the moment, but check back here if you’re looking to pick up a pair for yourself in the future.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 15
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 2
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 16
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)