Sep 2, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
I first saw Nike’s new Hyperdunk 2013 that was designed specifically for Kyrie Irving while covering USA Basketball’s mini-camp in Las Vegas back in July. Irving had just finished the camp’s first day of activities wearing them, and while the shoe itself had been around in multiple colorways, the uniqueness of this particular pair definitely stood out.
It isn’t unusual for players to get specialized versions of a sneaker made just for them, and that’s what I thought these would be at the time. But the good folks at Nike decided to release them to the public for purchase over the weekend, and they gave us a little insight into the design process.
From the official release:
“Irving’s past and future is the main theme of Irving’s 2013 Hyperdunk as told through color and material. Born in Melbourne, Australia, where his father, Drederick, played professional basketball, Irving is proud of his roots. The green-toned teal and volt colorway is a futuristic take on Australia’s National basketball team colorway of green and yellow. Featured on the tongue and lining is a “wave” graphic that depicts the story of his travels overseas from Melbourne to New Jersey.
“From a design standpoint, Nike used inspiration from Irving’s off-court style highlighted by his admiration for rich, rustic materials with a modern flair. That insight is excentuated in the upper through a contemporary texture with a subtle metallic finish.”
The press photos appear in the gallery below, along with one I took of Irving’s personal pair that I got to see up close. They’re out of stock at the moment, but check back here if you’re looking to pick up a pair for yourself in the future.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15