Sep 2, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
I first saw Nike’s new Hyperdunk 2013 that was designed specifically for Kyrie Irving while covering USA Basketball’s mini-camp in Las Vegas back in July. Irving had just finished the camp’s first day of activities wearing them, and while the shoe itself had been around in multiple colorways, the uniqueness of this particular pair definitely stood out.
It isn’t unusual for players to get specialized versions of a sneaker made just for them, and that’s what I thought these would be at the time. But the good folks at Nike decided to release them to the public for purchase over the weekend, and they gave us a little insight into the design process.
From the official release:
“Irving’s past and future is the main theme of Irving’s 2013 Hyperdunk as told through color and material. Born in Melbourne, Australia, where his father, Drederick, played professional basketball, Irving is proud of his roots. The green-toned teal and volt colorway is a futuristic take on Australia’s National basketball team colorway of green and yellow. Featured on the tongue and lining is a “wave” graphic that depicts the story of his travels overseas from Melbourne to New Jersey.
“From a design standpoint, Nike used inspiration from Irving’s off-court style highlighted by his admiration for rich, rustic materials with a modern flair. That insight is excentuated in the upper through a contemporary texture with a subtle metallic finish.”
The press photos appear in the gallery below, along with one I took of Irving’s personal pair that I got to see up close. They’re out of stock at the moment, but check back here if you’re looking to pick up a pair for yourself in the future.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28