Sep 2, 2013, 8:07 AM EDT
There have been almost as many post mortems on the disappointment that was the Los Angeles Lakers last season as there have been “Breaking Bad” Hank and Marie watching video spoofs.
Antawn Jamison — the former Laker and now Clipper — added the latest Laker breakdown and said what we had here was a failure to communicate.
He said there were a couple communication issues — between Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard, between coach Mike D’Antoni and everyone. Here is what Jamison told a Los Angeles radio station (as transcribed by ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Ramona Shelburne) about the Lakers locker room last season.
“Mike was pretty much put in a difficult situation,” Jamison said. “There was no training camp where he could get a feel for guys. There was a breakdown of communication when we first got there. And throughout the season it was kind of up and down…
“It was difficult,” he said. “I really believed before we got started that (Kobe and Howard) could co-exist. But it just didn’t work out that way. Both guys are unbelievable basketball players, the best we have in the game right now. But for whatever reason we just couldn’t get that relationship as far as them communicating and them trusting each other the way you needed them to trust each other in order for us to win a championship. It just didn’t happen that way.”
Things will be different for the Lakers this season in that without Howard and with some of the other roster changes the Lakers will be able to play more of a classic D’Antoni style. He started last season trying to fit the square peg of that roster into the round hole of his offense and it just wouldn’t go. He had to and did adjust, but by then the injuries had piled up and the hole the Lakers were in was too deep.
This season the Lakers start from a better place mentally and the offense likely will be smoother. The problem is talent wins in this league and the Lakers lost two key starters and their two best defenders from last season and that is going to haunt them this season.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 21
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 35
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 8
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16