J.J. Barea says he’d be open to returning to the Mavericks

Sep 2, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT

jjbarea

J.J. Barea was a key component of the Mavericks’ championship team in 2011, but for reasons he explained in detail recently, Mark Cuban decided against bringing back the free agent players from that squad to defend their title the following season.

Barea found a home with the Timberwolves in free agency, and is signed there for guaranteed money through the next two seasons. But once his contract in Minnesota is up, Barea said he wouldn’t rule out returning to Dallas.

From Gonzalo Aguirregomezcorta of ESPN Deportes:

When you suggest the possibility of going beyond the regular season in 2014, Barea perks up. It’s something he would like to do with the Timberwolves. In spite of this, Barea doesn’t close the door on the Mavs, who at the beginning of the summer sounded as if they were trying to once again retain his services. He has strong rapport with the Dallas owner.

“It’s a great relationship with Mark Cuban. If they want to bring me back to Dallas, I am very [good] with it,” he said. “But I’m happy in Minnesota. They’re the ones that wanted me there, the ones that signed me for four years, so until they decide to trade me, I’m going to give them all my effort in the games.”

With two years remaining on his deal, it seemed like a silly question. It was made relevant, however, by the fact that there were brief rumors near the beginning of free agency this summer that Barea might have been headed back to the Mavs in a deal for O.J. Mayo. But that ultimately never materialized.

Barea’s numbers have increased since he came to the Timberwolves, a function of him gaining more minute-per-game opportunities. He’s best served as a change of pace role player off the bench, and if Dallas has rebuilt its team to a respectable level by the time Barea is a free agent, it appears as though both sides would have no problem revisiting that relationship.

1. kingwithringz - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Too late. The chance for a 2peat has come and gone.

• maracineanu16 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I think you got offended by my one of my previous remarks (about Michael Beasley). I didn’t mean it, I just think that this guy is just wasting his talent

2. adamsjohn714 - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

This guy stinks. He should be open to any nba offers.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Oh. Apparently people think he’s good? I’m not sure why.

• muhangis - Sep 4, 2013 at 3:16 AM

He’s productive. Hugely under-rated due only to his size. I’m positive you’re just a simple jack ass who bases his thoughts off of popular fan opinion.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Ouch Muhangis… that hurts. Popular opinion is that this guy is good, actually. That’s why he keeps getting jobs in the NBA. I’m saying he’s bad because he can’t shoot very well, turns it over a tad too often, doesn’t get to the FT line much to make up for his poor shooting, and plays limited defense (partially due to his size). He doesn’t make up for any of these deficiencies in any other areas. But maybe grabbing .5 more rebounds per 48 minutes for his career excuses all his other faults in your mind. I’m afraid you’re flirting with lunacy.

3. twreck13 - Sep 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Would love to have JJ back. Excellent back up PG

4. badintent - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

He has to bring his girlfriend , Miss Puerto Rico !!! Muy Bonita

5. realtalk5 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Shut up JJ, you too small (5’2) to guard anybody…just enjoy the 19 M u stealing from T Wolves

6. cyberspaceprophet - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Who cares what that big mouth Cuban does or says?

7. bigmeechy74 - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I can’t stand this flopping idiot

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches