Dion Waiters thinks he will be best shooting guard in NBA

Sep 2, 2013, 3:24 AM EDT

Dion Waiters AP

Dion Waiters doesn’t lack for confidence.

He had a nice but not thrilling rookie season, where he averaged 14.7 points a game last season.

He showed some flashes of being the guy who can play next to Kyrie Irving, but he left a lot of questions, too. He can be explosive, but he only shot 49.6 percent inside five feet, 40.1 percent from the midrange, and 31 percent three.

Still, Waiters thinks he is the guy who can take the mantle of best two guard in the game from Kobe Bryant or Dwyane Wade. That’s what he told Hoopsworld.

“Without a doubt, I really believe that [I’ll eventually be the best shooting guard in the NBA]. This year, I’m going to show a lot of people who doubted me and still doubt me. I’m going to show them. And I don’t need praise and all of that. I just want to be respected. I’m coming. That’s all I have to say. I’ve taken my work ethic to another level and I feel as though I still have something to prove. So, watch out.”

This is another one from our “I’m glad he thinks that way, but you and I know it’s not true.

Cleveland wants to take the playoffs this season and they could. Waiters, and what kind of step forward he takes, will be one to them getting there. Keeping their stars healthy would be a bigger help, however.

1. moseskkim - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Kobe is obviously close to his end and DWade looked like a shell of himself but could come back and be a force. But unless James harden dies or gets seriously injured, how can waiters even get close to hardens level. Just as waiters gets better, hardens working in his game too. I like the hard work and confidence but don’t forget the young stud that’s proven himself as the top SG

2. unsportsmenmic - Sep 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Reblogged this on UnSportsMenMic and commented:
    Sipping from the same cup as Dylan (5 greatest rappers [Dave Chappellle], and Derick Rose.

• bigmeechy74 - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

worst comment ever

3. eventhorizon04 - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

His competition for best shooting guard in the NBA is Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, and James Harden.
    Kobe is coming off a serious Achilles injury at age 35 that required surgery. I think Kobe will bounce back reasonably well, but it’s not crazy to predict he’ll be slowed a bit.
    Wade is coming off knee injury (bone bruises) that did not require surgery. I think Wade will have a nice bounceback year this year, but he’s gotten banged up a lot in the past couple of regular seasons, so it’s possible he could be limited this season by injuries.
    Harden, however, is young and healthy. He has a potentially powerful pick-and-roll partner in Dwight Howard that could make Harden even more effective…or could stall the offense by demanding touches in the low post that eat into Harden’s shot opportunities.

Those are the toughest 3 shooting guards for Waiters to hurdle. The other shooting guards in the NBA are only scoring around 15-18 points per game. I doubt he becomes the best shooting guard in the NBA, but I think top-5 is within reach if he makes a leap this year.

• tomasekradek - Sep 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Right now there are not 3, but “30″ better shooting guards so his way will be quiet long. And the leap better be the BIG leap because his starting position is way behind those 3 you mentioned. Hope his ceiling is as high as his ego is.

• 5xchamp24 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Ok. Lets leave Kobe Harden and Wade out. Do you think he’ll be better than Paul George?

4. thenew013 - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I dont know about as soon as next year but if Kyrie dips next year and we put more offensive responsibilities on him and his work ethic is as good as advertised its possible.

5. boltsup - Sep 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I’m a Laker fan, and I’m a go out on a limb and say he might be close to a top 5 SG already, we played Cleveland twice last year in tight games and Waiters brought it, he can definitely ball and will only get better… He’s like a DWade with a Jumper, he works on his shot selection he will get better.. Plus there’s not much comp at the 2 after Kobe, Harden, and a crumbly Wade… E. Gordon is injury prone, Paul George is more of a 3 to me, Mayo isn’t there yet… I think he will be at least top 5 by a year or 2 especially playing off Kyrie

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

he doesn’t have a jumper… that’s why it doesn’t go in very often. He thinks he has a jumper, so he jacks up shots accordingly. It’s a rotten combination. He was really bad last year, even compared to other rookies.

• miamatt - Sep 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Funny that you call Gordon “injury prone” and Wade “crumbly” while Kobe gets to be plain old Kobe.

In case you missed it, Wade carried his team in a gotta-have-it Finals game 4, and put up 23 and 10 in the decisive game 7. Meanwhile, gimpy Kobe was on twitter…

• 5xchamp24 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM

So where were your comments about Kobe and Wade before Kobe got hurt and before the heat won the title? Kobe is 100xs more durable than wade, even at 35

6. boltsup - Sep 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Y’all sound like sluts, stop bytching… wade ain’t lead a team to shyt but 1 time with the help of… Wait for it, wait for it,…… Shaquille O’neal…. The year after the Miamis first ring they fell the hell off and DWade was the leader of sub .500 squads…

Kobe will be just fine, Dion Waiters will be too

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Yeah! You SLUTS!!! hahaha what a silly insult.

• miamatt - Sep 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

@boltsup:

Just when I thought you couldn’t sound stupider, you found another gear. All I pointed out is you took shots at other guys about injuries, while Kobe- the oldest of the bunch, I might add- is the only player mentioned who is trying to come back from a season-ending injury.

• skinsfanwill - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Let me clear up this misconception. Wade is the one that averaged over 30 in that finals. Not Shaq. Wade is the one the single handedly brought them back from 16 down, not Shaq. Wade was the MVP, not Shaq. And the following year they let everyone go except Wade and had a team full of D-Leaguers. Get ya facts straight. Waiters ain’t nowhere near the top 5 SG in the league.

7. boltsup - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Adamscock the infamous Laker hater lol… happy Labors Day bro, and get a job u troll

8. skinsfanwill - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

12 Kevin Martin,
    13 Vince Carter,
    14 Andre Iguodala,
    15 Marcus Thornton,
    16 Jordan Crawford,
    17 Ben Gordon,

Personally, I think Kent Bazemore is better than Waiters but he just has to get the time on the floor.

9. southpaw77 - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Can Dion stop talking and tweeting about his workouts and what he thinks he is gonna do and just go out and prove it.
    Start with that jumpshot because Kyrie is gonna be handling the ball and Bynum is gonna get looks down low so he get to shoot that broke jumper of yours Dion.
    Next play some defense and keep your head in the game, dont leave any open Spurs open like last year you knucklehead.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview