Sep 1, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs plucked one of ESPN’s respected analysts to work in their front office, according to a report from Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski. Dave Telelp, ESPN’s Senior National Recruiting Analyst, will reportedly take on the role of scouting coordinator for San Antonio’s draft prep.
The Telep hire seems to be a smart move by the Spurs considering Telep has developed a solid reputation in the college ranks. Along with knowing most college coaches on a personal level, he’s also been following the majority of draft prospects since their formative years in high school — giving him a leg up in background research as well.
It’s an interesting time in the NBA as teams have begun searching out of the box in hopes of striking it rich with their front office hires. ESPN’s been a particularly popular area for NBA teams to poach, too, considering Telep will join John Hollinger (Grizzlies), Sebastian Pruiti (Thunder) and former Telep intern Drew Cannon (Celtics) as ESPN-to-NBA personnel members this year.
ESPN isn’t the only breeding ground for future front office personnel members, though. Wojnarowski notes the Utah Jazz recently brought agent Justin Zanik on board as assistant general manager and Golden State Warriors GM Bob Myers took a similar route, serving as an agent before being hired as assistant GM in 2011 and eventually being promoted to his current role.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 22
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26