Sep 1, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
The San Antonio Spurs plucked one of ESPN’s respected analysts to work in their front office, according to a report from Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski. Dave Telelp, ESPN’s Senior National Recruiting Analyst, will reportedly take on the role of scouting coordinator for San Antonio’s draft prep.
The Telep hire seems to be a smart move by the Spurs considering Telep has developed a solid reputation in the college ranks. Along with knowing most college coaches on a personal level, he’s also been following the majority of draft prospects since their formative years in high school — giving him a leg up in background research as well.
It’s an interesting time in the NBA as teams have begun searching out of the box in hopes of striking it rich with their front office hires. ESPN’s been a particularly popular area for NBA teams to poach, too, considering Telep will join John Hollinger (Grizzlies), Sebastian Pruiti (Thunder) and former Telep intern Drew Cannon (Celtics) as ESPN-to-NBA personnel members this year.
ESPN isn’t the only breeding ground for future front office personnel members, though. Wojnarowski notes the Utah Jazz recently brought agent Justin Zanik on board as assistant general manager and Golden State Warriors GM Bob Myers took a similar route, serving as an agent before being hired as assistant GM in 2011 and eventually being promoted to his current role.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)