Sep 1, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
Fab Melo was once a pretty prominent prospect, posting a 2.9 block per game average in his second season at Syracuse after picking up basketball much later in life than most professional players. That isn’t the case anymore, however, because Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that the big man cleared waivers on Sunday.
Melo was selected by the Boston Celtics with the 22nd pick in the first round of the 2012 NBA Draft, but ended up tallying just seven points over the course of his rookie season. Melo wasn’t great when Boston tried to develop him in the D-League, either, with averages of 9.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks and one concussion after walking into a hotel room door.
The Celtics decided to move the 7-foot center this offseason, finding the Memphis Grizzlies as willing trade partners after sending a bit of cash to sweeten the deal for Donte Greene‘s non-guaranteed contract. The Fab Melo Era didn’t last long in Memphis either, however, as the Grizzlies decided to cut ties with Melo On Friday — and now, since he wasn’t claimed off of waivers, they’re on the hook for the $1.3 million he’s owed this season.
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Melo now, but surely he’s worth a minimum contract for the upcoming this season … or at least an invite to training camp, as long as he stays away from hotels with low doors.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 57
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31