Sep 1, 2013, 7:44 PM EST
Fab Melo was once a pretty prominent prospect, posting a 2.9 block per game average in his second season at Syracuse after picking up basketball much later in life than most professional players. That isn’t the case anymore, however, because Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that the big man cleared waivers on Sunday.
Melo was selected by the Boston Celtics with the 22nd pick in the first round of the 2012 NBA Draft, but ended up tallying just seven points over the course of his rookie season. Melo wasn’t great when Boston tried to develop him in the D-League, either, with averages of 9.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks and one concussion after walking into a hotel room door.
The Celtics decided to move the 7-foot center this offseason, finding the Memphis Grizzlies as willing trade partners after sending a bit of cash to sweeten the deal for Donte Greene‘s non-guaranteed contract. The Fab Melo Era didn’t last long in Memphis either, however, as the Grizzlies decided to cut ties with Melo On Friday — and now, since he wasn’t claimed off of waivers, they’re on the hook for the $1.3 million he’s owed this season.
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Melo now, but surely he’s worth a minimum contract for the upcoming this season … or at least an invite to training camp, as long as he stays away from hotels with low doors.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 15
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 2
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 16
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)