Sep 1, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
The Boston Celtics are about to undergo a huge rebuilding project. That’s apparently made them a very alluring option for free agents trying to to break into the NBA, too, as former Wisconsin standout Kammron Taylor announced earlier this week that he’ll be attending their training camp rookie big man Damen Bell-Holter has reportedly decided to join them as well.
Bell-Holter isn’t a household name considering he spent his college career playing at low-major Oral Roberts, but he earned an invite to the Portsmouth Invitational — a springboard for seniors looking to impress NBA scouts — after averaging 15.5 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game en route to First Team All-Southland honors.
That seemed like it might’ve been the last time American basketball fans heard about Bell-Holter because he didn’t show up on a Summer League roster and signed in Germany’s top league with Telekom Baskets Bonn last month. Thing can change in a hurry in the basketball world, however, as Bell-Holter recently explained to the Alaska Sports Blog.
Just ask Hydaburg’s Damen Bell-Holter, who was in Germany about to begin his professional basketball career when the NBA team called his agent and invited the former Oral Roberts University star to training camp next month.
“My agent said I was on their list of guys they wanted to bring in,” Bell-Holter told me. “It’s really exciting. It’s a huge opportunity that doesn’t come around very often. Just that they knew my name is pretty cool.”
The 6’10, 250-pound big man likely won’t end up on the Celtics’ regular season roster this year, but is a nice development project if he’d decide to sign with the team’s NBA D-League squad.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)