Sep 1, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics are about to undergo a huge rebuilding project. That’s apparently made them a very alluring option for free agents trying to to break into the NBA, too, as former Wisconsin standout Kammron Taylor announced earlier this week that he’ll be attending their training camp rookie big man Damen Bell-Holter has reportedly decided to join them as well.
Bell-Holter isn’t a household name considering he spent his college career playing at low-major Oral Roberts, but he earned an invite to the Portsmouth Invitational — a springboard for seniors looking to impress NBA scouts — after averaging 15.5 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game en route to First Team All-Southland honors.
That seemed like it might’ve been the last time American basketball fans heard about Bell-Holter because he didn’t show up on a Summer League roster and signed in Germany’s top league with Telekom Baskets Bonn last month. Thing can change in a hurry in the basketball world, however, as Bell-Holter recently explained to the Alaska Sports Blog.
Just ask Hydaburg’s Damen Bell-Holter, who was in Germany about to begin his professional basketball career when the NBA team called his agent and invited the former Oral Roberts University star to training camp next month.
“My agent said I was on their list of guys they wanted to bring in,” Bell-Holter told me. “It’s really exciting. It’s a huge opportunity that doesn’t come around very often. Just that they knew my name is pretty cool.”
The 6’10, 250-pound big man likely won’t end up on the Celtics’ regular season roster this year, but is a nice development project if he’d decide to sign with the team’s NBA D-League squad.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5