Sep 1, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
The Boston Celtics are about to undergo a huge rebuilding project. That’s apparently made them a very alluring option for free agents trying to to break into the NBA, too, as former Wisconsin standout Kammron Taylor announced earlier this week that he’ll be attending their training camp rookie big man Damen Bell-Holter has reportedly decided to join them as well.
Bell-Holter isn’t a household name considering he spent his college career playing at low-major Oral Roberts, but he earned an invite to the Portsmouth Invitational — a springboard for seniors looking to impress NBA scouts — after averaging 15.5 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game en route to First Team All-Southland honors.
That seemed like it might’ve been the last time American basketball fans heard about Bell-Holter because he didn’t show up on a Summer League roster and signed in Germany’s top league with Telekom Baskets Bonn last month. Thing can change in a hurry in the basketball world, however, as Bell-Holter recently explained to the Alaska Sports Blog.
Just ask Hydaburg’s Damen Bell-Holter, who was in Germany about to begin his professional basketball career when the NBA team called his agent and invited the former Oral Roberts University star to training camp next month.
“My agent said I was on their list of guys they wanted to bring in,” Bell-Holter told me. “It’s really exciting. It’s a huge opportunity that doesn’t come around very often. Just that they knew my name is pretty cool.”
The 6’10, 250-pound big man likely won’t end up on the Celtics’ regular season roster this year, but is a nice development project if he’d decide to sign with the team’s NBA D-League squad.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 4
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9