Sep 1, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics are about to undergo a huge rebuilding project. That’s apparently made them a very alluring option for free agents trying to to break into the NBA, too, as former Wisconsin standout Kammron Taylor announced earlier this week that he’ll be attending their training camp rookie big man Damen Bell-Holter has reportedly decided to join them as well.
Bell-Holter isn’t a household name considering he spent his college career playing at low-major Oral Roberts, but he earned an invite to the Portsmouth Invitational — a springboard for seniors looking to impress NBA scouts — after averaging 15.5 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game en route to First Team All-Southland honors.
That seemed like it might’ve been the last time American basketball fans heard about Bell-Holter because he didn’t show up on a Summer League roster and signed in Germany’s top league with Telekom Baskets Bonn last month. Thing can change in a hurry in the basketball world, however, as Bell-Holter recently explained to the Alaska Sports Blog.
Just ask Hydaburg’s Damen Bell-Holter, who was in Germany about to begin his professional basketball career when the NBA team called his agent and invited the former Oral Roberts University star to training camp next month.
“My agent said I was on their list of guys they wanted to bring in,” Bell-Holter told me. “It’s really exciting. It’s a huge opportunity that doesn’t come around very often. Just that they knew my name is pretty cool.”
The 6’10, 250-pound big man likely won’t end up on the Celtics’ regular season roster this year, but is a nice development project if he’d decide to sign with the team’s NBA D-League squad.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47