Royce White might not be wanted in Philadelphia

Aug 31, 2013, 9:00 AM EST

Rockets White Basketball

The Philadelphia 76ers traded for Royce White in early July, sending just “future considerations” to the Houston Rockets in order to acquire the 2012 first-round pick and Turkish prospect Furkan Aldemir. It turns out that the little-known Aldemir, not the embattled White, was apparently the object of the Sixers’ affection.

It made sense for new 76ers GM Sam Hinkie to pick up White considering he came from Houston and likely knew about the internal issues that kept White from ever actually playing a regular season game for the Rockets. Hinkie spoke pretty openly — at least by his standards — to Tom Moore at the Bucks County Courier Times on Friday, however, and it seems that the Sixers might not be all that high on the enigmatic White.

As for the embattled White, Hinkie answered a question about White’s possible role on the team generically and never mentioned White by name.

An NBA source said the Rockets, who dealt him to the Sixers on July 6 along with a second-round pick and Turkish power forward Furkan Aldemir for future considerations and cash, are picking up the $1.7 million salary of White, who has an anxiety disorder and is afraid to fly. That means the Sixers have nothing invested in White — and that the 21-year-old Aldemir was the primary target in the deal, which the source confirmed.

If the Sixers don’t actually owe White anything this season, as Moore reports, it would seem that they likely wouldn’t put up with a lot hen it comes to the former Iowa State Cyclone. That likely means that he’ll probably be cut if he’s serious about not flying again this season (he gave an emphatic “Hell no” when asked about the possibility this summer), especially if the Sixers don’t like what they see in training camp. That’s a possibility, too, considering White showed up out of basketball shape when the Rockets finally convinced him to play in the D-League last season.

Let’s all hope that White’s situation turns out the best for everyone involved basketball-wise, but it sounds like White is already doing his part to make a difference off the court.

1. saint1997 - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hey, just a thought, but is it possible for White to play all home games and away against teams like NY, Boston etc. ? I know it’s a hassle missing some games but surely he’s still useful in these situations?

• jazynaz - Aug 31, 2013 at 4:57 PM

how would the team gel together if he’s only there half the time? so what, they’re going to pay him half time, too? is he that good that any team wants to fool around with him? i just don’t see why. tired of hearing about this silly drama! (this guy, this drama that doesn’t even really exist) ridiculous!

2. abchome - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM

You can’t be an NBA player if you can’t fly. You just can’t take a job you are unable to perform.

• jeffw - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Time for White to go the way of the DODO Bird. Except he’s more of a cuckoo bird. Adios clown!

3. bluflower010 - Aug 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Good Riddence, is the world can say lets wish he gets hit by a car oneday

• raidmagic - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Really? Wish he gets hit by a car because he has a brain disorder? That is idiotic! I don’t agree with how he is handling this but I don’t wish death on the guy.

• tubal22 - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM

*heart disorder

• antihypocritz - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

WTF is wrong with you? My god some people really are human garbage. Let’s hope you never have a chance to procreate.

• bigmeechy74 - Sep 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Were you an English major in college?

4. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Royce White doesn’t care about basketball. He never plays except when he’s required to with his team. He has a lot of other projects he’s more focused on than his NBA career. I’d say it’s time to stop paying him for the job he isn’t willing to perform and let him focus on his real interests.

5. genericcommenter - Aug 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

He’s 21 years old and has serious health issues. I think it would be a good story if he makes it, but he might have to step away and decide what his priorities are with his treatment.

• tubal22 - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM

No one knows if he really has a mental disorder is bad enough to affect his job. Houston’s doctor’s weren’t able to examine him.

He played all 34 games his last year in college, even the ones he had to fly to.

He might have OCD, millions of people do. But it didn’t affect his ability to play basketball until he signed a fat contract and had money rolling in.

As soon as they threatened to suspend him without pay, he was magically able to start playing again.

6. raycharlesj - Aug 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Oh that makes sense Hinkie is just “clearing out his desk” as he leaves the Rockets organization, he didn’t want to leave his problem as he changed companies.

7. timpiker - Aug 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

“serious health issues” ??? Yes, he’s a NUT !!! I watched his interview on 60 Minutes – he’s nuts man.

8. legend30 - Aug 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I’m tired about hearing this guy – just retire.

9. adoombray - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Some of these comments are why mental illness is such a problem in this country. It’s the taboo that nobody gets to talk about.

On one hand, I suffer from severe anxiety myself, and there’s a history of very bad situations that occured due to it throughout my family ,and I still go to work every day. It’s one thing to be an advocate for change, it’s another to use your disease as a crutch.

On the other, he’s 21 years old. Nobody has it figured out when they are 21. The man deserves some time to learn how to be an adult and cope with his issues. to the people saying he should get hit by a car or calling him a clown, shame on you.

Regardless,

• jimeejohnson - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM

1. Haters gonna hate
      2. Haters gonna be losers
      3. Haters gonna be stupid

• adoombray - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I am fully aware the internet is mostly for people to complain, but I think we can all agree Royce’s mission is to bring awareness to mental illness which I respect enough to have a conversation about with complete strangers. I just took a different approach than him and that’s fine because I don’t know the guy or what he goes through (the experience is unique to each person and sucks in it’s own way). For me it was getting the medication and then powering through whatever was driving me nuts. I didn’t figure that out until I was almost 30 though. He does deserve some criticism but I think he deserves some sympathy too.

I’ll still trade for dude everytime in video games, because point forwards are awesome with good perimeter shooters

• metalhead65 - Aug 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM

people do not dislike him because of his”illness” but because of how uses it as an excuse for any problems he has in life. he gives people with his supposed condition a bad name. people who try and get treatment and want to get better. people who work regular jobs even though it is killing them but do it to survive. this clown got paid millions and refused any help or treatment his employers tried to give him. in other words he is a lazy worthless bum who wants the money and is not willing to work for it. I just hope nobody else is stupid enough to sign him once he is cut.there are plenty of guys out there who may not be as talented as he is suppose to be but would kill to be given a chance to make a NBA team.

10. moseskkim - Aug 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Homie needs to go ride a boat out to Puerto Rico and play ball in a small country like that

11. thomaskouns - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

As a former Cyclone, I know White’s manipulative nature and I’d wager the odds are very good he’ll ‘suddenly’ be able to fly once his guaranteed contract expires.

Just a hunch………..

• kinggw - Aug 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM

In other words you have no idea what your talking about and are speculating like everyone else.

• thomaskouns - Aug 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM

‘Kinggw’, there is this thing called ‘sarcasm’ you might check out some time………….

And by the way, ‘kinggw’, let me clue you in as you take things literally, this entire board is based on ‘speculating’. If it wasn’t, there wouldn’t be a ‘post comment’ section for you to speculate on my speculation.

12. jazynaz - Aug 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM

i don’t see anything to white except attention seeking. if what the team asks is that you come in and be in shape, for an athlete, that doesn’t seem like your employer is asking too much. now he’s in the news again, not for basketball, but he’s opening a mental health clinic. how’s he going to head up a mental health clinic? i guess he wants his name on it…the royce white legacy? yikes!, more attention seeking. good luck to him in the rest of his life.

13. mn1978 - Aug 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

White should be commended, but this does raise the question, what is the state of mental health care when NBA players have to take responsibility for helping those suffering from anxiety disorders?

14. anhdazman - Sep 1, 2013 at 12:55 AM

You don’t have to fly if you’re flipping burgers. Good Luck. See Ya!

15. blackhawks2013 - Sep 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I think this is White’s last year to prove himself. His guaranteed rookie contract will end after this season. He better check his passport if he can’t fly. He shouldn’t have taken an NBA contract if he won’t fly for whatever reason.

16. patfic15 - Sep 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Royce took the money and ran ( because flying was scary).

17. peterm5 - Sep 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM

This kid was awesome at Iowa State and it’s a shame we can’t see him play in the NBA. He can do anything on the court.
    I just don’t know what he wants? If it’s for us to agree that a mental disorder is the same as a bum knee, yeah it is.
    But as a guy can’t play with a bum knee, a guy can’t play in the NBA with a mental disorder
    that prevents him from flying.

18. boscoesworld - Sep 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

He has an anxiety disorder. It is very treatable with medication and therapy of all different sorts. It is not as some say a “serious” disorder in the mental health realm. I suffered with GAD and couldn’t perform my duties on a job and what? I had to change jobs!! I personally could not have my company pay me to sit frozen at the computer. This dude should maybe follow that example. It IS that easy!

19. bwellerb - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

B.A. Baracus didn’t like to fly either. Maybe, like Face and Murrdock, Hinkie can spike White’s milk and when he passes out they throw him on the plane. When he wakes up, he plays basketball and then they spike his milk again. It worked on the A-Team.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches