Aug 31, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
The Philadelphia 76ers currently have 14 players listed on their roster, though it sounds as though there will be a few more new faces on the team when training camp gets started. As in at least six new faces because new general manager Sam Hinkie would like to take 20 players to training camp and whittle his roster down from there.
NBA teams typically bring in a couple players over the 15-man limit for the purpose of practice bodies or in order to stash certain players on their NBA Development League squads. It’s rare for a team to be able to convince 20 total players that they all have a chance to make a 15-man roster, however, especially if there aren’t any cash incentives to pass up potentially lucrative overseas offers.
Hinkie plans to pull it off, though, according to comments he made to Keith Pompey of the Phiadelphia Inquirer.
“In training camp, you can have up to 20 players,” Hinkie said. “I’m not the kind of guy that you can say that likes to miss out on opportunities. “The chance to have 20 is another chance to learn more about people.”
Pompey reports that Temple standout Khalif Wyatt will likely be one of the training camp invitees vying for a spot on this year’s final roster.
It’s going to be interesting to watch the Sixers roster take form. Along with the slew of training camp invitees Hinkie expects to add, Nerlens Noel and Jason Richardson aren’t going to be ready for the start of the year, Royce White might not be wanted in Philadelphia and both James Anderson and Tim Ohlbrecht are on non-guaranteed contracts after being picked up on waivers from the Houston Rockets earlier this summer.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 0
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 4
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)