Aug 31, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
The Philadelphia 76ers currently have 14 players listed on their roster, though it sounds as though there will be a few more new faces on the team when training camp gets started. As in at least six new faces because new general manager Sam Hinkie would like to take 20 players to training camp and whittle his roster down from there.
NBA teams typically bring in a couple players over the 15-man limit for the purpose of practice bodies or in order to stash certain players on their NBA Development League squads. It’s rare for a team to be able to convince 20 total players that they all have a chance to make a 15-man roster, however, especially if there aren’t any cash incentives to pass up potentially lucrative overseas offers.
Hinkie plans to pull it off, though, according to comments he made to Keith Pompey of the Phiadelphia Inquirer.
“In training camp, you can have up to 20 players,” Hinkie said. “I’m not the kind of guy that you can say that likes to miss out on opportunities. “The chance to have 20 is another chance to learn more about people.”
Pompey reports that Temple standout Khalif Wyatt will likely be one of the training camp invitees vying for a spot on this year’s final roster.
It’s going to be interesting to watch the Sixers roster take form. Along with the slew of training camp invitees Hinkie expects to add, Nerlens Noel and Jason Richardson aren’t going to be ready for the start of the year, Royce White might not be wanted in Philadelphia and both James Anderson and Tim Ohlbrecht are on non-guaranteed contracts after being picked up on waivers from the Houston Rockets earlier this summer.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31