Aug 31, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
The Philadelphia 76ers currently have 14 players listed on their roster, though it sounds as though there will be a few more new faces on the team when training camp gets started. As in at least six new faces because new general manager Sam Hinkie would like to take 20 players to training camp and whittle his roster down from there.
NBA teams typically bring in a couple players over the 15-man limit for the purpose of practice bodies or in order to stash certain players on their NBA Development League squads. It’s rare for a team to be able to convince 20 total players that they all have a chance to make a 15-man roster, however, especially if there aren’t any cash incentives to pass up potentially lucrative overseas offers.
Hinkie plans to pull it off, though, according to comments he made to Keith Pompey of the Phiadelphia Inquirer.
“In training camp, you can have up to 20 players,” Hinkie said. “I’m not the kind of guy that you can say that likes to miss out on opportunities. “The chance to have 20 is another chance to learn more about people.”
Pompey reports that Temple standout Khalif Wyatt will likely be one of the training camp invitees vying for a spot on this year’s final roster.
It’s going to be interesting to watch the Sixers roster take form. Along with the slew of training camp invitees Hinkie expects to add, Nerlens Noel and Jason Richardson aren’t going to be ready for the start of the year, Royce White might not be wanted in Philadelphia and both James Anderson and Tim Ohlbrecht are on non-guaranteed contracts after being picked up on waivers from the Houston Rockets earlier this summer.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 10
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6