LaMarcus Aldridge admits to extreme frustration, but not trade request

Aug 31, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT

LaMarcus Aldridge

LaMarcus Alrdridge earned a second consecutive All-Star appearance last year, but it essentially went to waste as his Portland Trail Blazers finished 33-49 in spite of their big man’s best efforts. That led to multiple reports saying Aldridge was looking to be moved this summer, but the player himself denied everything once the original report went out.

Aldridge changed his tune a bit on Saturday afternoon, however, as he seems to have been quite candid while talking to Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports. Aldridge admitted that he was “extremely frustrated” last year, but told Spears he didn’t ask to be traded.

“I wasn’t ready to make a move yet,” Aldridge told Spears. “I was just frustrated in the moment. I haven’t given Neil (Olshey) a chance yet.”

Olshey put together a pretty solid roster around Aldridge this offseason, adding rookies C.J. McCollum and Allen Crabbe along with sixth-man extraordinaire Mo Williams, Robin Lopez, Dorell Wright, Thomas Robinson and Earl Watson. That’s quite an upgrade considering some of the players that made up the Blazers’ bench last year.

Whether all of the moves Olshey made this summer pay off is yet to be determined, but it sounds like Aldridge is going to go into the new season with a new attitude. Whether that attitude changes prior to next year, when he’s owed $16 million in the final year of his contracts, remains to be seen.

1. avb530 - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The West is scary good. Rip City has a talented roster but too young. Lillards the real deal though. Defense (lack of) and youth are there biggest weaknesses.

They should be 7th in the West IMO.

• avb530 - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

their*

• jcshin89 - Sep 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Every year blazer built great roster but luck didn’t help them. Aldridge is one of the best PF today he plays like tim duncan. Hopefully Lillard and Aldridge will lead rip city.

2. lolo3504 - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

please Portland just trade him already. it’s time for lillard to be the face of the team.

• kb2408 - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Yeah…just trade one of the premier power forwards in the league. He doesn’t complain, doesn’t cause problems and gets 20 & 9 every game. Who are you going to get for him that’s going to be better?

• jcshin89 - Sep 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

trade him and get who? it is still Aldridge Rip City Blazers.

3. nobodysaiditseasy - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM

As a Trail Blazers fan for over 2 decades, I am open to portland trading aldridge. For who though? I dont trust Robin Lopez to be “the” Center for our team. Trade aldridge and matthews to Detroit for Monroe or Drummond and get a 3rd team involved and get some more pieces, I would be very happy with that.

Or, do another 3 way trade which lands us Asik and a decent PF like a Boozer,Millsap (obviously no since he just signed with ATL but would have been nice) or David Lee, Im 100% behind it. And yes, I get it, as a fan of the team I could be overvaluing them and asking for too much but hey…we’ve had 4 busted knees on our team, give me a break.

4. nobodysaiditseasy - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM

5. kb2408 - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I guess in Portland they would rather have a guy that doesn’t mind losing every year and is happy just getting his numbers and making all-star teams.

6. ptownbearsfan420 - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

No flippin sh*% he’s frustrated! We as a city of Portland are frustrated for him. Brooklyn is a fine example of what a team with money and motivation to win a championship can do. Paul Allen has all the money in the world to tinker with Blazers roster but nooooo. We’re a “small market team” so we’re destined to suck I guess.. Paul Allens a crock. All you other cities be glad your team doesn’t have this fruit loop for an owner!

• 00maltliquor - Sep 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Wow…I can feel your frustration right through the computer screen! Hey but you know what, you guys have a sweet squad 1-10. I think playoffs are almost for sure for you guys unless some major injury happens to LMA or Lillard. Knock on wood.

7. adamsjohn714 - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Breaking News: Lamarcus Aldridge upset that he’s not all that good, misses JJ Hickson doing all the work for him.

8. dylude - Aug 31, 2013 at 10:39 PM

See you soon in Houston LMA…..

Unless Love steals your spot first.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM

It looks like Morey is a little bit too bright to go after Lamarcus.

9. jerdogthompson - Sep 1, 2013 at 1:41 AM

@dylydude

Really? You get D12 and u assume every great player will come calling?

Let me tell u this, YOU’RE A SMALL MARKET TEAM.

Get over yourself already.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Free agents are attracted to winners, not big markets. Now, big markets happen to have the capital to pay for the better players more often, but not always (see NY Knicks). The Rockets will win a lot of games next year, making them very attractive.

10. lolo3504 - Sep 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Yep we do have a sweet squad this year one im really happy with. just would like to see la go for some younger talent. (he gets his numbers but that doesnt translate to wins) Also Brooklyn is more like a fine example of how you spend 100 mil to get to the second round.

11. djjackson81 - Sep 3, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I don’t know why but if he hits FA I see him in a Suns uni next

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures