Aug 31, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
There are a lot of famous basketball fans: Jack Nicholson, Spike Lee, Jay-Z, Chris Rock (and sometimes Lil Wayne and Justin Bieber, if they’re in a city with an NBA game happening and are able to find a hat emblazoned with the home team’s logo).
There are also a few notable NBA fans that aren’t quite as familiar to the public, but that basketball fans are certainly familiar with: namely Jimmy Goldstein and Clipper Darrell, both of which have gained a cult following for vastly different reasons. The latter is pretty prominent at the Vegas Summer League, but he’s also made some headlines for attempting a sleep-in to protest the lockout and nearly losing the right to keep calling himself Clipper Darrell in a near-snafu with Clippers’ brass.
The man known for screaming insults at players brought himself back in the news on Saturday when he posted the following on Twitter:
— Clipper Darrell (@clipperdarrell) August 31, 2013
Twitter was abuzz considering Darrell has stuck with the Clippers through a long stretch of badness. Do not worry, though, because Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times did some investigative reporting and learned — through his sources — that it was just a joke, you guys.
— Eric Pincus (@EricPincus) September 1, 2013
Please go on enjoying the rest of your Labor Day weekend. There’s nothing to see here.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36