Aug 31, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
The allure of pro-am basketball isn’t what it was during the 2011 NBA lockout, but watching the best players in the world play basketball — wherever they’re at and regardless of their opponents — is still fun to watch on a lazy August day. And, because of that, we’re bringing you highlights of the 2013 Goodman League Roundball Classic.
The Goodman League is essentially the East Coast’s version of the Drew League (which we last wrote about here) so, when they held their year-end all-star game, plenty of big names were in attendance. The stars of the game were all drafted with the second overall pick in their respective drafts — Kevin Durant in 2007, Michael Beasley in 2008 and Victor Oladipo in 2013 — but it looks like pretty much everyone that played put on a show (including former D-Leaguer Corey Allmond, overseas stud David Hawkins, neither of which were likely on NBA fans’ radars prior to watching the highlights below).
It’s hard not to get excited about the NBA season being so close after watching these guys do what they do, right?
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 0
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17