Aug 31, 2013, 12:37 PM EST
The allure of pro-am basketball isn’t what it was during the 2011 NBA lockout, but watching the best players in the world play basketball — wherever they’re at and regardless of their opponents — is still fun to watch on a lazy August day. And, because of that, we’re bringing you highlights of the 2013 Goodman League Roundball Classic.
The Goodman League is essentially the East Coast’s version of the Drew League (which we last wrote about here) so, when they held their year-end all-star game, plenty of big names were in attendance. The stars of the game were all drafted with the second overall pick in their respective drafts — Kevin Durant in 2007, Michael Beasley in 2008 and Victor Oladipo in 2013 — but it looks like pretty much everyone that played put on a show (including former D-Leaguer Corey Allmond, overseas stud David Hawkins, neither of which were likely on NBA fans’ radars prior to watching the highlights below).
It’s hard not to get excited about the NBA season being so close after watching these guys do what they do, right?
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)