Aug 31, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
Pierce recently said that the Nets will take over as New York’s team, but Smith isn’t so sure that’ll be the case as he reportedly described Pierce as “a bitter person just getting out of Boston.
“(Pierce) doesn’t really know what New York is all about,” Smith told Begley. “Just know that his words have consequences and he’s going to have to pay for them.”
Smith also added that he’s hoping he’ll be healthy enough to play in training camp after offseason knee injury, but that isn’t the end of Saturday’s Smith news.
The New York Knicks will have at least two Smiths on their training camp roster, apparently, because Begley also reports that Chris Smith will join his older brother J.R. when the Knicks begin preparing for the NBA’s regular season.
The younger Smith had an underwhelming college career at Louisville, but used his connections to play for the Knicks’ Summer League squad last season en route to five points per game and a training camp invite. The 24-year-old rookie was unable to make good on that attempt, however, due to a knee injury in October that was expected to keep him out from three to six months.
Chris Smith never ended up playing professional basketball last season, however, so he’ll be a 25-year-old rookie attempting to make his professional debut when the Knicks open up camp.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 29
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 61
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 32
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 75