Aug 31, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
Pierce recently said that the Nets will take over as New York’s team, but Smith isn’t so sure that’ll be the case as he reportedly described Pierce as “a bitter person just getting out of Boston.
“(Pierce) doesn’t really know what New York is all about,” Smith told Begley. “Just know that his words have consequences and he’s going to have to pay for them.”
Smith also added that he’s hoping he’ll be healthy enough to play in training camp after offseason knee injury, but that isn’t the end of Saturday’s Smith news.
The New York Knicks will have at least two Smiths on their training camp roster, apparently, because Begley also reports that Chris Smith will join his older brother J.R. when the Knicks begin preparing for the NBA’s regular season.
The younger Smith had an underwhelming college career at Louisville, but used his connections to play for the Knicks’ Summer League squad last season en route to five points per game and a training camp invite. The 24-year-old rookie was unable to make good on that attempt, however, due to a knee injury in October that was expected to keep him out from three to six months.
Chris Smith never ended up playing professional basketball last season, however, so he’ll be a 25-year-old rookie attempting to make his professional debut when the Knicks open up camp.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 54
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31