Aug 30, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Those are the first two extensions to the rookie deals out of the 2010 draft. They were both expected and both got done early — teams have until Oct. 31 to make the call and they usually pull the trigger about when you buy your Halloween costume (admit it, that gets done on the 29th if you’re early).
So what about the other guys in the draft class? Let’s take a look at the top 15 picks:
1. John Wall (Wizards). He got his, five years at $80 million.
2. Evan Turner (Sixers). We’ll be kind and say not likely. Turner may have some value to the rebuilding Philly team but they are not going to extend him, rather they will let him become a restricted free and see what price the market sets for him. And then they may let him walk.
3. Derrick Favors (Jazz). Drafted by Nets, he was one of the big pieces that moved west in the Deron Williams trade. This season with Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap gone, Favors is going to get a real opportunity to show what he can do. Don’t expect the Jazz to pay him before he proves it however, he will be a restricted free agent and how he plays this season will determine how much he makes down the line.
4. Wesley Johnson (Lakers). Drafted by the Timberwolves but they didn’t keep him around and the Lakers picked him up on a minimum deal. He can’t get an extension even if he deserved it.
5. DeMarcus Cousins (Kings). Expect this one to get done. Cousins should have been a top three pick in this draft — when on he may be the single best player in this draft. While there are serious questions about maturity, the rebuilding Kings need Cousins. They need him to grow and evolve personally and his game, but they need him. The question will be price, but the Kings will likely sign him to a healthy contract.
7. Greg Monroe (Pistons). This is an interesting one. The Pistons see Monroe along with Andre Drummond as a potential front line of the future, but with some big money owed Josh Smith, a healthy chunk to Brandon Jennings and the Drummond extension coming up how much will Detroit offer Monroe? A deal could get done, but if the market sets Monroe’s price next summer there are questions if the Pistons will pay it.
8. Al-Farouq Aminu (Pelicans). He was drafted by the Clippers but traded in the Chris Paul deal. The Pelicans would love for him to find a good role for this team off the bench, but he’s not getting an extension.
9. Gordon Hayward (Jazz). The two sides will talk and while the Jazz want to keep him the question will be price. This may be a case where he becomes a restricted free agent next summer and the Jazz match any offer, but they may find it hard to find common ground now.
10. Paul George (Pacers). This is the one other lock extension — Indiana will give him one and it will be at or near the max. The details just have to be worked out.
11. Cole Aldrich (Kings). He started in Oklahoma City and had a stint with the Rockets as well. He does not have a contract anywhere for next season; the Kings did not pick up their option year.
12. Xavier Henry (Pelicans). Does not have a contract for next season, did not have his option picked up.
13. Ed Davis (Grizzlies). He was drafted by the Raptors but was traded to Memphis in the Rudy Gay deal. I think he’ll have a kind of breakout season off the bench for the Grizzlies, he can play in this league, but he’s not getting an extension.
14. Patrick Patterson (Kings). Drafted by the Rockets now in Sacramento. No extension here.
15. Larry Sanders (Bucks). He got his, four years at $44 million.
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 0
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 9
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 25
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6