Aug 30, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Friday they waived Melo, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Melo was owed $1.3 million this season fully guaranteed, part of his rookie contract. If no team picks ‘Melo up off waivers Memphis will have to eat that salary (and it still counts against their salary cap).
The fact that Memphis is willing to do that rather than let go of Josh Akognon or Willie Reed (guys without fully guaranteed contracts who make less money) speaks to what Memphis thought of Melo. There have been questions about his maturity and his desire to work at his game since he entered the league.
That said, ‘Melo is a 7’0” shot blocking big who could develop into a good NBA defender — last season he was named to the D-League All-Defensive First Team and D-League All-Rookie First Team — so a team may well claim him off waivers. If not, he will land a spot on a minimum contract.
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 6
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 22
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43