Aug 30, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
Friday they waived Melo, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Melo was owed $1.3 million this season fully guaranteed, part of his rookie contract. If no team picks ‘Melo up off waivers Memphis will have to eat that salary (and it still counts against their salary cap).
The fact that Memphis is willing to do that rather than let go of Josh Akognon or Willie Reed (guys without fully guaranteed contracts who make less money) speaks to what Memphis thought of Melo. There have been questions about his maturity and his desire to work at his game since he entered the league.
That said, ‘Melo is a 7’0” shot blocking big who could develop into a good NBA defender — last season he was named to the D-League All-Defensive First Team and D-League All-Rookie First Team — so a team may well claim him off waivers. If not, he will land a spot on a minimum contract.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 6
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 12
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 4
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 13
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 14
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (38)