Aug 30, 2013, 2:13 PM EST
Not that the Sixers were really counting on him this season — they have their plan to get good through being bad in place — but just be sure you don’t pick up Jason Richardson on your fantasy team to start the season.
Richardson was out last February for the season after his knee injury was diagnosed. He’s had his operation — but he told MLive.com about it and it’s much more serious than first thought.
Players tend to be optimistic about their return dates, and Richardson made it sound like he hopes to play again around the All-Star break.
“I was diagnosed with having a hole in my meniscus about the size of a quarter. Going to several doctors to see what was the best procedure to have, I decided to go with a fairly new procedure called Denovo surgery. It’s a surgery where they take juvenile cartilage and implant it back into my knee where the cartilage damage occur….
“My rehab process right now… I have to be on crutches for 12 weeks completely … no weight bearing on my left leg (Been on them for 5 weeks now), after crutches I have to be in a special brace called the loader brace which relieves stress from the area of the surgery for six months.
“Some time by mid-October, I will be able to start lifting light weights, and hopefully if all goes well I will be able to resume normal basketball activity by late January-early February.”
(Hat tip to Zach at Eye on Basketball for finding that.)
If the player’s optimistic date is February…
Let’s just say the Sixers aren’t really counting on big contributions from him at all this season and wouldn’t be shocked if he was out for the year.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)