Aug 30, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
When is Rajon Rondo going to be ready to play for Boston?
New Celtics coach Brad Stevens is not going to play your game. At least publically. The Boston Herald tried to get him to say when Rondo would be back and Stevens would have none of it.
“I have never heard a timeline from him and the latest that I’ve heard from our medical staff is that he’s progressing well,” Stevens said at TPC Boston during the Deutsche Bank pro-am on Thursday. “Our staff has spent a little bit of time with him off site here as well as we followed up on his rehab when he’s been away.
“He will be back in town soon. He’s working. I know that for a fact. He’s working hard to get back as soon as he can and I’m sure he will.”
The odds Stevens really has no idea of the timeline is about the same that Miley Cyrus will get invited to do the Super Bowl halftime show.
However, once the Celtics put a formal timeline out there expectations follow. Ask the Philadelphia 76ers how those expectations can backfire. By dodging the question Stevens leaves Rondo a bigger window. That’s the prudent play.
The bigger question to me is once Rondo comes back and proves himself healthy, how much longer is he a Celtic? Teams will be approaching the Celtics (how does Caron Butler’s expiring deal, Brandon Knight and a first round pick sound?) Danny Ainge has
left Rondo twisting in the wind listened to offers for Rondo for a few years now. This time does he pull the trigger?
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18