Aug 30, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
When is Rajon Rondo going to be ready to play for Boston?
New Celtics coach Brad Stevens is not going to play your game. At least publically. The Boston Herald tried to get him to say when Rondo would be back and Stevens would have none of it.
“I have never heard a timeline from him and the latest that I’ve heard from our medical staff is that he’s progressing well,” Stevens said at TPC Boston during the Deutsche Bank pro-am on Thursday. “Our staff has spent a little bit of time with him off site here as well as we followed up on his rehab when he’s been away.
“He will be back in town soon. He’s working. I know that for a fact. He’s working hard to get back as soon as he can and I’m sure he will.”
The odds Stevens really has no idea of the timeline is about the same that Miley Cyrus will get invited to do the Super Bowl halftime show.
However, once the Celtics put a formal timeline out there expectations follow. Ask the Philadelphia 76ers how those expectations can backfire. By dodging the question Stevens leaves Rondo a bigger window. That’s the prudent play.
The bigger question to me is once Rondo comes back and proves himself healthy, how much longer is he a Celtic? Teams will be approaching the Celtics (how does Caron Butler’s expiring deal, Brandon Knight and a first round pick sound?) Danny Ainge has
left Rondo twisting in the wind listened to offers for Rondo for a few years now. This time does he pull the trigger?
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16