Aug 30, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
When is Rajon Rondo going to be ready to play for Boston?
New Celtics coach Brad Stevens is not going to play your game. At least publically. The Boston Herald tried to get him to say when Rondo would be back and Stevens would have none of it.
“I have never heard a timeline from him and the latest that I’ve heard from our medical staff is that he’s progressing well,” Stevens said at TPC Boston during the Deutsche Bank pro-am on Thursday. “Our staff has spent a little bit of time with him off site here as well as we followed up on his rehab when he’s been away.
“He will be back in town soon. He’s working. I know that for a fact. He’s working hard to get back as soon as he can and I’m sure he will.”
The odds Stevens really has no idea of the timeline is about the same that Miley Cyrus will get invited to do the Super Bowl halftime show.
However, once the Celtics put a formal timeline out there expectations follow. Ask the Philadelphia 76ers how those expectations can backfire. By dodging the question Stevens leaves Rondo a bigger window. That’s the prudent play.
The bigger question to me is once Rondo comes back and proves himself healthy, how much longer is he a Celtic? Teams will be approaching the Celtics (how does Caron Butler’s expiring deal, Brandon Knight and a first round pick sound?) Danny Ainge has
left Rondo twisting in the wind listened to offers for Rondo for a few years now. This time does he pull the trigger?
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 3
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 10
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 2
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 4
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 10