Aug 30, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Milwaukee is a team in transition, one rebuilding after the failed Brandon Jennings/Monta Ellis experiment. They have one foundational piece in place with Larry Sanders in the paint. Now they will see if John Henson, Brandon Knight and others will be part of that, while guys like O.J. Mayo and Ersan Ilyasova help them get a few wins under their belt.
Enter into that mix Caron Butler.
He is part of that bridge to the future — he was a starter with the Clippers last year (but would have been bumped to the bench this year) but now will be asked to play a role on and off the court in Milwaukee. And the Racine native (about 25 miles outside Milwaukee) told the Journal Sentinel he is up for the job.
“I talked to coach (Larry) Drew and John Hammond (Bucks general manager), and we talked about my role on and off the court,” Butler said.
“They will ask even more of me, and I embrace that challenge, being a leader and a mentor. And I’ll be in my own town doing it. I didn’t think it would ever happen, that this dream I had many years ago could become a reality. That’s funny.”
Fantasy hoops alert: Butler may put up some better numbers this year. He is healthy and this team is going to need his points some nights (unless you are a big Mayo believer).
It’s going to be a rough year in Milwaukee. If things blend well they could again challenge for the 7/8 seed in the East, but more likely they are going to be just on the outside looking in. But it’s not really about this year; it’s about building that foundation.
Butler will be a big part of that.
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 3
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 14
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 9