Aug 30, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Milwaukee is a team in transition, one rebuilding after the failed Brandon Jennings/Monta Ellis experiment. They have one foundational piece in place with Larry Sanders in the paint. Now they will see if John Henson, Brandon Knight and others will be part of that, while guys like O.J. Mayo and Ersan Ilyasova help them get a few wins under their belt.
Enter into that mix Caron Butler.
He is part of that bridge to the future — he was a starter with the Clippers last year (but would have been bumped to the bench this year) but now will be asked to play a role on and off the court in Milwaukee. And the Racine native (about 25 miles outside Milwaukee) told the Journal Sentinel he is up for the job.
“I talked to coach (Larry) Drew and John Hammond (Bucks general manager), and we talked about my role on and off the court,” Butler said.
“They will ask even more of me, and I embrace that challenge, being a leader and a mentor. And I’ll be in my own town doing it. I didn’t think it would ever happen, that this dream I had many years ago could become a reality. That’s funny.”
Fantasy hoops alert: Butler may put up some better numbers this year. He is healthy and this team is going to need his points some nights (unless you are a big Mayo believer).
It’s going to be a rough year in Milwaukee. If things blend well they could again challenge for the 7/8 seed in the East, but more likely they are going to be just on the outside looking in. But it’s not really about this year; it’s about building that foundation.
Butler will be a big part of that.
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 0
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48