Aug 29, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
After a second round playoff run and the most optimistic season the Warriors fans have had in decades, the front office could have just tried to bring the band back together and grow the team that way. Instead, they came out aggressive getting into the fringes of the Dwight Howard conversation.
But that was a long shot… of course so was landing Andre Iguodala.
Such a long shot that team GM Bob Meyers didn’t think they would land Iggy, Meyers told the Sporting News.
“Andre was still a longshot, too,” Myers told Sporting News. “And it looked like more of a longshot as we were going through the process. I remember walking into my house late at night, just about every night that week, and telling my wife, ‘This is disappointing because no one cares about the work you put in, they just care about the result.’ We were ready to not get the result. You can say you tried really hard, but no one wants to hear that. Many times it looked futile. I killed it, five, 10, 20 different times. I said, ‘We’re not getting him, we can’t do it.’”
Iguodala had other options — he nearly signed with Dallas — but he had his eye on the Bay Area before and when this came together he jumped at the chance.
There are so many deals talked about much like this one was but they never just come together. There are a lot of long hours spent on trades that fall apart. This clearly felt like that, but in the end the Warriors became a more dangerous team.
Iggy’s wing defense and ability to score in transition and create should fit well with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. The questions for Golden State will be the bench (without Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry) and how the Warriors defend. Iggy should be a big plus on the defensive end (although a healthy Bogut is the other key).
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 1
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 16
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)