Aug 29, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
After a second round playoff run and the most optimistic season the Warriors fans have had in decades, the front office could have just tried to bring the band back together and grow the team that way. Instead, they came out aggressive getting into the fringes of the Dwight Howard conversation.
But that was a long shot… of course so was landing Andre Iguodala.
Such a long shot that team GM Bob Meyers didn’t think they would land Iggy, Meyers told the Sporting News.
“Andre was still a longshot, too,” Myers told Sporting News. “And it looked like more of a longshot as we were going through the process. I remember walking into my house late at night, just about every night that week, and telling my wife, ‘This is disappointing because no one cares about the work you put in, they just care about the result.’ We were ready to not get the result. You can say you tried really hard, but no one wants to hear that. Many times it looked futile. I killed it, five, 10, 20 different times. I said, ‘We’re not getting him, we can’t do it.’”
Iguodala had other options — he nearly signed with Dallas — but he had his eye on the Bay Area before and when this came together he jumped at the chance.
There are so many deals talked about much like this one was but they never just come together. There are a lot of long hours spent on trades that fall apart. This clearly felt like that, but in the end the Warriors became a more dangerous team.
Iggy’s wing defense and ability to score in transition and create should fit well with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. The questions for Golden State will be the bench (without Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry) and how the Warriors defend. Iggy should be a big plus on the defensive end (although a healthy Bogut is the other key).
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15