The Laker Bros want to say “thank you”

Aug 29, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT

You remember the Laker Bros?

Back in November Deadspin helped make them cult heroes for their stereotypical Lakers fan response during a game — only Lakers fans wear sunglasses inside at a game so they can take them off David Caruso style at a dramatic moment. The gif was dissected everyway imaginable.

Deadspin found and interviewed the guys, who have since spun into like their own little brand. And that got them a Webby award from L.A. Weekly as the “Meme of the Year.”

They just wanted to say thank you.

And I love that they played it tongue in cheek.

(Now for the disclaimer — yes, I know not all Lakers fans are like this. I grew up in L.A., I live in the area [I’m a Long Beach guy now]. I ran a Lakers blog. J.A. Adande had the best description of the Lakers fan base I’ve seen (which he borrowed or adapted from someone else, as I remember): It’s like an iceberg, you really only see 10 percent of Lakers fans. Or of Los Angeles in general. You see the movie stars and rich people who can afford the good seats at games, the people there to be seen as much as see the game and who are constantly checking their iPhones. But Los Angeles is a Lakers town deep down and there are a lot of mechanics and insurance salesmen and Thai food cooks who are passionate about the Lakers but not crazy or self-obsessed. You just don’t see them because they sit above the luxury boxes or watch at home, and they don’t frequent message boards or comment on blogs.)

Hat tip to The Basketball Jones.

1. asimonetti88 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Definitely from the Valley

2. abchome - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I like these Lakers fans more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TLwotqLeMo

And Goran Dragic appeared as guest star at the end.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM

the best one of those is when he went to Coachella and asked people about bands that didn’t exist

• sellahh - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Half of these people appear in other episodes of this wanna-be funny show. I mean some time I thought my sense of humour was redneck-like… until I found people that actually believe those episodes and find them hilarious. I feel like a Charlie Sheen.

• denverhoopdreams - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Haha, that does look like Dragic, was that really him though? I saw this when it was on Kimmel.

If so, it was obviously sarcasm from him, or staged, but would still be funny.

3. doughnut70 - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Anybody who knows LA, knows this story isn’t true. LA is a Dodgers town first, last and always. When Magic had it going on, the Lakers drew a lot of support, but that was about Magic who was special. If you go back to the West, Baylor years, they never drew as well as UCLA and a lot of people out here rooted for other teams, especially the Knicks and when Jordan did his thing, especially after they beat the Lakers, there were twice as many Bulls fans as Laker fans. When Shaq and Kobe were winning, they sold out the Staples Center, but if you walked into any sports bar, you would find just as many fans that hated them as loved them. When Dallas beat them in Phil’s last year, there were as many fans cheering on the Mavs as there were Laker fans at the Staples Center. It’s always been that way in part because LA is so cosmopolitan with people from everywhere else. But there is one universally beloved team, except for that 10 percent that always has to be different and that’s the Dodgers. Everyone in LA loves the wrecking crew and they always have. Even most Angel fans also root for the Dodgers. They don’t see it as a major rivalry.

• Kurt Helin - Aug 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Based on ratings in the LA area over the past couple decades, this just isn’t true. The Dodgers are the one team that could challenge the Lakers (sans MFL) but they need to be good over a stretch of years. We’ll see.

4. antistratfordian - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

“…there are a lot of mechanics and insurance salesmen and Thai food cooks who are passionate about the Lakers but not crazy or self-obsessed.”

Hmm. I’m still skeptical.

5. newyorkshets - Aug 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Dbags

• Anoesis - Aug 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM

That’s pretty rich coming from a New Yorker. I’ll defer to your obvious expertise on the subject.

6. adoombray - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM

the working class belongs to the Clippers, and real LA natives know that (San Pedro native here). Laker fans only exist when the team wins. the rest of the time they are wearing another teams jersey.

7. 00maltliquor - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Anyone else catch that crazy dig at the very end Kurt threw to every Laker fan that reads his articles and comments? Wooooow Helin. Way to alienate the people who keep you in business, so to speak. So esessentially “real” fans aren’t supposed to come here huh? Solid logic. Stay classy, San Diego.

• Kurt Helin - Aug 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM

My favorite comments are from the fools who think I hate the Lakers and their fans.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview