Aug 29, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
You remember the Laker Bros?
Back in November Deadspin helped make them cult heroes for their stereotypical Lakers fan response during a game — only Lakers fans wear sunglasses inside at a game so they can take them off David Caruso style at a dramatic moment. The gif was dissected everyway imaginable.
Deadspin found and interviewed the guys, who have since spun into like their own little brand. And that got them a Webby award from L.A. Weekly as the “Meme of the Year.”
They just wanted to say thank you.
And I love that they played it tongue in cheek.
(Now for the disclaimer — yes, I know not all Lakers fans are like this. I grew up in L.A., I live in the area [I’m a Long Beach guy now]. I ran a Lakers blog. J.A. Adande had the best description of the Lakers fan base I’ve seen (which he borrowed or adapted from someone else, as I remember): It’s like an iceberg, you really only see 10 percent of Lakers fans. Or of Los Angeles in general. You see the movie stars and rich people who can afford the good seats at games, the people there to be seen as much as see the game and who are constantly checking their iPhones. But Los Angeles is a Lakers town deep down and there are a lot of mechanics and insurance salesmen and Thai food cooks who are passionate about the Lakers but not crazy or self-obsessed. You just don’t see them because they sit above the luxury boxes or watch at home, and they don’t frequent message boards or comment on blogs.)
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 0
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 11
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29