Aug 29, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
You remember the Laker Bros?
Back in November Deadspin helped make them cult heroes for their stereotypical Lakers fan response during a game — only Lakers fans wear sunglasses inside at a game so they can take them off David Caruso style at a dramatic moment. The gif was dissected everyway imaginable.
Deadspin found and interviewed the guys, who have since spun into like their own little brand. And that got them a Webby award from L.A. Weekly as the “Meme of the Year.”
They just wanted to say thank you.
And I love that they played it tongue in cheek.
(Now for the disclaimer — yes, I know not all Lakers fans are like this. I grew up in L.A., I live in the area [I’m a Long Beach guy now]. I ran a Lakers blog. J.A. Adande had the best description of the Lakers fan base I’ve seen (which he borrowed or adapted from someone else, as I remember): It’s like an iceberg, you really only see 10 percent of Lakers fans. Or of Los Angeles in general. You see the movie stars and rich people who can afford the good seats at games, the people there to be seen as much as see the game and who are constantly checking their iPhones. But Los Angeles is a Lakers town deep down and there are a lot of mechanics and insurance salesmen and Thai food cooks who are passionate about the Lakers but not crazy or self-obsessed. You just don’t see them because they sit above the luxury boxes or watch at home, and they don’t frequent message boards or comment on blogs.)
- Derrick Rose leaves Bulls-Nuggets game with hamstring tightness 22
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 18
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23