Aug 29, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Royce White has been clear from the start that he wanted to help change the perception of people battling mental illness. He was the No. 16 pick by the Houston Rockets in the 2012 draft but the potential point forward (he had those kinds of skills coming out of college) has never played a second in the NBA.
White battles a generalized anxiety disorder, which includes a fear of flying and is eased by a steady and predictable routine. Those are two things that don’t really mesh with the NBA lifestyle and how to handle it led to a lot of tension between White and the Rockets. He was traded to the 76ers this offseason where he may be seen as more of an expiring contract.
White still wants to make a difference and he may have found a way to do that — helping open a wellness center in Houston, something reported at the Houston Chronicle’s Rockets blog.
On Wednesday morning, White announced a partnership with his non-profit organization Anxious Mind’s Inc. and Bee Busy Wellness Center to create the Royce White Institute of Mental Health on the city’s southwest side…
White, who has been open about his own struggles with an anxiety disorder, said that he thinks every city should have a center where free mental healthcare is offered. He started the Anxious Mind’s Inc. group while in college at Iowa State, and this is the organization’s first partnership. He said he hopes to see it grow.
That’s a good cause, and good on White for using his name to help get this open. It has the potential to do a lot of good.
Helping people in that way would mean a lot more than an NBA career.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29