Aug 29, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
We brought you news of this potential trade last night and now you wake up to the news that the deal is all but official.
The Suns have agreed to trade Caron Butler to the Milwaukee Bucks for guard Ish Smith and center Slava Kravtsov, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic. The deal will get finalized Thursday and Butler will be traded out of Phoenix seven weeks after the team brought him in as part of the Jared Dudley/J.J. Redick trade.
What the Bucks get out of it is a Racine native (25 miles outside Milwaukee) who is a solid veteran on the court who can split time at the three with Carlos Delfino. Butler averaged 10.4 points a game, shot 38.8 percent from three and had a PER of 12.4 last season for the Clippers. Plus, he’s an $8 million expiring contract. He can make the Bucks a little better, and this is a team that is not tanking but wants to get back to the playoffs (if things break right they could get the 8 seed again).
What do the Suns get, besides a couple young players? Money, notes Coro.
The Suns gain $5.65 million of cap space for any potential in-season trades but also save that money to make an expected costly waiver of Michael Beasley more palatable. Beasley would be owed $9 million of guaranteed salary.
After Beasley’s latest arrest the buzz out of Phoenix is that team management and owner Robert Sarver want him gone.
The Suns lose a veteran player but they are going to be bad and in the “woeful for Wiggins” draft chase next season, so this makes some sense that way.
Coro notes with Smith and Kravtsov the Suns will have 17 guaranteed contracts on the books heading into training camp and league rules allow teams to only carry 15. Even with Beasley being cut loose before training camp it would mean one more player would have to go. It could be one of the guys in this trade, depending on how Channing Frye bounces back from heart surgery.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 6
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8