Aug 29, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
Maybe in part because they know that they could use some help at the three at the start of the season because the guy they had penciled in there isn’t going to be around.
Carlos Delfino was expected to be that guy, the Bucks went out this summer and set up the return to Milwaukee of the unrestricted free agent (after the Rockets waived him). But Delfino also had foot surgery at the end of May to repair a fractured bone, and that was expected to get him back around training camp if things went well. But in his story breaking the Butler trade news, Gery Woefel of the Journal-Times threw in this tidbit.
Carlos Delfino, whom the Bucks signed as a free agent in July, had been the projected starting small forward. But Delfino is still recovering from surgery for a fractured bone in his right foot. There are whispers that Delfino will miss the entire preseason and even a portion of the regular season.
When the surgery took place the recovery time was four to six months, and four months had him back at the start of training camp. But six pushes the Delfino return into November when the season has started.
So the Bucks — who realize if they have playoff hopes they can’t have a slow start to the year — went and got help. Yes, a whole lot of other things need to go right for the Bucks to make the playoffs (Brandon Knight taking a big step forward, a more mature O.J. Mayo, etc.) but you can see where the Bucks mindset is.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 3
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 13
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36