Aug 29, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
Maybe in part because they know that they could use some help at the three at the start of the season because the guy they had penciled in there isn’t going to be around.
Carlos Delfino was expected to be that guy, the Bucks went out this summer and set up the return to Milwaukee of the unrestricted free agent (after the Rockets waived him). But Delfino also had foot surgery at the end of May to repair a fractured bone, and that was expected to get him back around training camp if things went well. But in his story breaking the Butler trade news, Gery Woefel of the Journal-Times threw in this tidbit.
Carlos Delfino, whom the Bucks signed as a free agent in July, had been the projected starting small forward. But Delfino is still recovering from surgery for a fractured bone in his right foot. There are whispers that Delfino will miss the entire preseason and even a portion of the regular season.
When the surgery took place the recovery time was four to six months, and four months had him back at the start of training camp. But six pushes the Delfino return into November when the season has started.
So the Bucks — who realize if they have playoff hopes they can’t have a slow start to the year — went and got help. Yes, a whole lot of other things need to go right for the Bucks to make the playoffs (Brandon Knight taking a big step forward, a more mature O.J. Mayo, etc.) but you can see where the Bucks mindset is.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29