Aug 29, 2013, 8:44 AM EST
Maybe in part because they know that they could use some help at the three at the start of the season because the guy they had penciled in there isn’t going to be around.
Carlos Delfino was expected to be that guy, the Bucks went out this summer and set up the return to Milwaukee of the unrestricted free agent (after the Rockets waived him). But Delfino also had foot surgery at the end of May to repair a fractured bone, and that was expected to get him back around training camp if things went well. But in his story breaking the Butler trade news, Gery Woefel of the Journal-Times threw in this tidbit.
Carlos Delfino, whom the Bucks signed as a free agent in July, had been the projected starting small forward. But Delfino is still recovering from surgery for a fractured bone in his right foot. There are whispers that Delfino will miss the entire preseason and even a portion of the regular season.
When the surgery took place the recovery time was four to six months, and four months had him back at the start of training camp. But six pushes the Delfino return into November when the season has started.
So the Bucks — who realize if they have playoff hopes they can’t have a slow start to the year — went and got help. Yes, a whole lot of other things need to go right for the Bucks to make the playoffs (Brandon Knight taking a big step forward, a more mature O.J. Mayo, etc.) but you can see where the Bucks mindset is.
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 1
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 5
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5