John Salley talks about veganism and the NBA

Aug 29, 2013, 11:19 PM EST

Sports Spectacular 2013 - Inside Getty Images

The NBA can be a pretty testosterone driven world — and in that world men eat meat. Lots of it. Maybe boiled chicken breasts, maybe steaks, Kobe Bryant mixes in the odd In-n-Out burger as his vice (which is better than 5 Guys, but that’s another debate for another day).

But there are vegetarians in the NBA (players who do not eat meat). Amar’e Stoudemire may be the most prominent, but there also is James Jones (who is vegan) and Glen Davis. Even Carmelo Anthony will go vegetarian for stretches to help control his weight in season.

Then there is John Salley, the former Pistons Bad Boy and current sports talk personality, who has taken the next step and is vegan (he does not use or ingest animal products, so for example no cheese, yogurt or eggs). He talked about that change and why he did it, speaking with Ethan Sherwood Strauss in a fascinating interview at TrueHoop.

The first question was did Salley switch to veganism for health reasons?

Yeah. When Wilt Chamberlain died. Any kind of blockage is heart disease; when you have a blood clot anywhere, that’s heart disease. When Wilt Chamberlain died, strongest man I ever met in my life, I started paying attention.

A lot of players learn later in their career about diet. Ray Allen told PBT he changed his diet around after a trip to a McDonald’s in college before a practice. He said he felt sluggish and after that changed his diet around, but a lot of players don’t do that until their mid-to-late 20s (if ever).

Salley switched to vegetarianism (not veganism) while playing and talked about that and if he had been Vegas while playing.

Oh my God, if I was a vegan when I should have done this thing, man? I remember when I became a vegetarian and my game changed. I couldn’t imagine if I was a vegan back when I was playing. The thing about the NBA, any pro sport, is, guys don’t know how to take care of their body.

It’s funny. They got trainers around to help them lift weights, throw all this weight up, parachutes. All this other crazy stuff. But they don’t have guys who say, “Hey. This is how you take care of your body.”

It’s a challenge for a player, because they have to take in a lot of calories due to the energy they expend, and meat is a fast way to those calories. It takes a lot more thought and care to be vegetarian on a road trip. A lot of players move to leaner meats and vegetables as they get older and try to take care of themselves, shunning bad eating habits like fast food they had in their youth.

But when you see athletes like Serena Williams bounce back from career-threatening health issues thanks in part to veganism, you know that other athletes are going to take a look at it.

1. longtallsam - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM

One thing for sure…Salley didn’t become a seven foot tall basketball star by being a vegan.

• maracineanu16 - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:57 AM

yeah, being vegan no way you can become a good athlete

• brutl - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

If anything it’s the growth hormones in your meat products.
      There are a number of athletes and bodybuilders or are vegetarian/vegan

• longtallsam - Aug 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM

There is a lot of difference between vegan & vegetarian. And I doubt if hardly any of those athletes were vegan in their growing years. Many vegetarians will eat and drink dairy and eggs, and even eat fish. Not a vegan! I am surprised vegans will even eat fruits and vegetables, since they do come from living plants, and we have to kill them to eat them!

2. mackcarrington - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:32 PM

John, have a Fatburger and chill out.

3. rickyspanish - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Only in the off season bloggers will write about anything John Salley has to say. What a blowhard.

4. ambitoos - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM

John Sally is a racist. He hates white guys but loves white women.

• genericcommenter - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

So? So do I, and I AM a white guy.

5. lakerade - Aug 30, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Double Double.

6. unfly - Aug 30, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Truly these are the darkest days of the NBA offseason

7. hornet0123 - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Doesn’t Glen Davis sort of negate all the other examples of shining health?

8. brent05cards - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Five Guys is way better than In and Out! It’s not even a competition.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Smashburger > everything. But there’s not many of those across the country.

• longtallsam - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I will put a couple of my local spots here in SC up against any of those chains.

9. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I hate Vegantarians. It’s like bringing a guy from AA to a bar; ruins everybody’s good time.

• brutl - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Well I don’t go to bars for the same reason I don’t eat meat.
      It’s nothing compared to ruining everybody’s good time by dying of heart disease (or cirrhosis).

• longtallsam - Aug 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Its all called moderation and common sense. There is no credible evidence that vegans live longer than meat eaters.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches