Aug 29, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
DeQuan Jones played four years at the University of Miami, but he wasn’t really considered an NBA prospect. That said he got in with the Magic and hung with them last season, getting in 63 games and being a regular part of the rotation. Not a good part, really, but part. Then the Magic drafted Victor Oladipo and that was basically it for Jones, the Magic let him go and he has still not signed with another team.
But that’s not why we’re talking about him.
As noted, Jones was a four year player at Miami, but he missed part of his senior season because of an NCAA investigation into Nevin Shapiro and his role with the university’s athletic department. As the story goes an assistant basketball coach told Shapiro they needed $10,000 to give to Jones so he would come to Miami, but Jones knew nothing about this and didn’t take the money, the NCAA found. Of course, this being the NCAA, it took a long time to make their ruling and Jones missed the start of the season.
So while you and I were just laughing at the NCAA when it’s ruling to suspend Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel for a half came down, Jones was pissed. And said so on twitter (hat tip to The Sporting News for finding this):
At this point, does anything the NCAA does surprise you?
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29