Aug 28, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Ricky Rubio can pass, that was never in question. He’s a good floor general and he sees the court and sets guys up brilliantly.
But his shooting needs work. Last season he struggled to finish on the attack shooting 41.4 percent inside eight feet, plus he shot 34.6 percent from the midrange. He took the vast majority of his threes above the break (not the corners) and hit 26.3 percent from there. The season before the numbers were basically the same.
Flip Saunders, the guy making the decisions with Minnesota basketball, wants to see Rubio become more of a scoring threat. That’s what he told listeners at KFAN in Minneapolis, as reported by Fox Sports North.
“That’s his next step in the evolution of the point guard position,” recently hired Timberwolves president of basketball operations Flip Saunders told KFAN 100.3. “Being a bigger scoring threat, being able to knock down shots, which will make the game much more easier for him.”
He’s right, of course. Rubio averaged 7.3 assists per game last season, which is pretty remarkable considering he didn’t get to pass to Kevin Love, Chase Budinger or Nikola Pekovic much due to injuries. It took Rubio a few months after his return to get his legs back and really trust his knee again, but once he did he was back to throwing great passes and organizing the team well.
But if he’s a scoring threat he’s that much more dangerous. And much harder to defend.
I’m relatively high on Minnesota — if they can stay healthy this season I think they are a playoff team in the West. It’s going to be a bottom three seed, and they will get bounced in the first round, but getting back into the playoffs is the first step.
And if Rubio’s shooting percentages go up, the Timberwolves become that much more dangerous.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13