Aug 28, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
It appears, however, that the player Milwaukee had its sights set on all along may have ended up with the Suns.
Butler is from Racine, just 25-30 miles outside of Milwaukee. And the most recent report has the Bucks interested in trying to bring him home by prying him away from the clutches of the Phoenix front office.
According to multiple sources, the Bucks and Phoenix Suns are seriously engaged in trade negotiations that would bring Butler to the Bucks.
Although exact details of the potential trade aren’t known, Butler, the former Park High School standout, would be the central figure in the deal that could be culminated as soon as today.
Butler will be paid nearly $8 million next season, so the Bucks would likely have to give the Suns some sort of combination involving players and draft picks. It is believed the Bucks wouldn’t surrender any of their frontline players.
Interestingly enough, Butler is the highest-paid player on the books in Phoenix for next season at $8 million, though his contract will be up at the end of the 2013-14 season.
It’s no secret that the Suns are in a rebuilding mode, and would have no problem shedding Butler’s expiring contract from the roster in exchange for young talent or draft picks that could help the franchise in its quest to contend in the future.
A combination of Luke Ridnour and Gary Neal might be a good place to start, except for the fact that Phoenix is loaded at the guard positions, and neither player is exactly a cornerstone to build around in the coming seasons.
Ekpe Udoh and a draft pick or two might make more sense, as he’s only on the books for $4.4 million next year, after which the Suns could choose to retain his rights by extending him a qualifying offer in restricted free agency.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6