Aug 28, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
It appears, however, that the player Milwaukee had its sights set on all along may have ended up with the Suns.
Butler is from Racine, just 25-30 miles outside of Milwaukee. And the most recent report has the Bucks interested in trying to bring him home by prying him away from the clutches of the Phoenix front office.
According to multiple sources, the Bucks and Phoenix Suns are seriously engaged in trade negotiations that would bring Butler to the Bucks.
Although exact details of the potential trade aren’t known, Butler, the former Park High School standout, would be the central figure in the deal that could be culminated as soon as today.
Butler will be paid nearly $8 million next season, so the Bucks would likely have to give the Suns some sort of combination involving players and draft picks. It is believed the Bucks wouldn’t surrender any of their frontline players.
Interestingly enough, Butler is the highest-paid player on the books in Phoenix for next season at $8 million, though his contract will be up at the end of the 2013-14 season.
It’s no secret that the Suns are in a rebuilding mode, and would have no problem shedding Butler’s expiring contract from the roster in exchange for young talent or draft picks that could help the franchise in its quest to contend in the future.
A combination of Luke Ridnour and Gary Neal might be a good place to start, except for the fact that Phoenix is loaded at the guard positions, and neither player is exactly a cornerstone to build around in the coming seasons.
Ekpe Udoh and a draft pick or two might make more sense, as he’s only on the books for $4.4 million next year, after which the Suns could choose to retain his rights by extending him a qualifying offer in restricted free agency.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30