Aug 28, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
It appears, however, that the player Milwaukee had its sights set on all along may have ended up with the Suns.
Butler is from Racine, just 25-30 miles outside of Milwaukee. And the most recent report has the Bucks interested in trying to bring him home by prying him away from the clutches of the Phoenix front office.
According to multiple sources, the Bucks and Phoenix Suns are seriously engaged in trade negotiations that would bring Butler to the Bucks.
Although exact details of the potential trade aren’t known, Butler, the former Park High School standout, would be the central figure in the deal that could be culminated as soon as today.
Butler will be paid nearly $8 million next season, so the Bucks would likely have to give the Suns some sort of combination involving players and draft picks. It is believed the Bucks wouldn’t surrender any of their frontline players.
Interestingly enough, Butler is the highest-paid player on the books in Phoenix for next season at $8 million, though his contract will be up at the end of the 2013-14 season.
It’s no secret that the Suns are in a rebuilding mode, and would have no problem shedding Butler’s expiring contract from the roster in exchange for young talent or draft picks that could help the franchise in its quest to contend in the future.
A combination of Luke Ridnour and Gary Neal might be a good place to start, except for the fact that Phoenix is loaded at the guard positions, and neither player is exactly a cornerstone to build around in the coming seasons.
Ekpe Udoh and a draft pick or two might make more sense, as he’s only on the books for $4.4 million next year, after which the Suns could choose to retain his rights by extending him a qualifying offer in restricted free agency.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24