Aug 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
This is how it is around the NBA right now: Some teams still have a roster space or two available, others do not, and there is a cluster of pretty talented players trying to get those spots. Even just the spots that are an invite to a training camp where they stand little to no chance of making the roster.
For example, look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Their roster is basically set, yet they have a flood of guys just looking for the chance to be at camp, reports Mary Schmitt Boyer at the Plain Dealer.
Former Atlanta forward Josh Childress will be among 40 or more free agents who will work out here as the Cavaliers continue to do their due diligence in the month leading up to the start of training camp, according to an NBA source.
The Cavaliers have 14 guys under contract, and while technically Andrew Bynum and C.J. Miles are not guaranteed, they are not going anywhere in the short term. There is also Matthew Dellavedova but SHAM Sports does not know if his deal is guaranteed or not. But the point is he almost certainly sticks and the Cavs have a full roster (they could add a 15th player but many teams like to keep that slot open to both save money and have room for a two-for-one trade or to pick up someone let go by another team.
Yet 40 guys are working out to get one of about four or five camp invites to a team they cannot make. That is the kind of pressure there is on role players to keep up their game and keep their jobs.
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 0
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 23
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 10
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)