Aug 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
This is how it is around the NBA right now: Some teams still have a roster space or two available, others do not, and there is a cluster of pretty talented players trying to get those spots. Even just the spots that are an invite to a training camp where they stand little to no chance of making the roster.
For example, look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Their roster is basically set, yet they have a flood of guys just looking for the chance to be at camp, reports Mary Schmitt Boyer at the Plain Dealer.
Former Atlanta forward Josh Childress will be among 40 or more free agents who will work out here as the Cavaliers continue to do their due diligence in the month leading up to the start of training camp, according to an NBA source.
The Cavaliers have 14 guys under contract, and while technically Andrew Bynum and C.J. Miles are not guaranteed, they are not going anywhere in the short term. There is also Matthew Dellavedova but SHAM Sports does not know if his deal is guaranteed or not. But the point is he almost certainly sticks and the Cavs have a full roster (they could add a 15th player but many teams like to keep that slot open to both save money and have room for a two-for-one trade or to pick up someone let go by another team.
Yet 40 guys are working out to get one of about four or five camp invites to a team they cannot make. That is the kind of pressure there is on role players to keep up their game and keep their jobs.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 3
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7