Aug 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
This is how it is around the NBA right now: Some teams still have a roster space or two available, others do not, and there is a cluster of pretty talented players trying to get those spots. Even just the spots that are an invite to a training camp where they stand little to no chance of making the roster.
For example, look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Their roster is basically set, yet they have a flood of guys just looking for the chance to be at camp, reports Mary Schmitt Boyer at the Plain Dealer.
Former Atlanta forward Josh Childress will be among 40 or more free agents who will work out here as the Cavaliers continue to do their due diligence in the month leading up to the start of training camp, according to an NBA source.
The Cavaliers have 14 guys under contract, and while technically Andrew Bynum and C.J. Miles are not guaranteed, they are not going anywhere in the short term. There is also Matthew Dellavedova but SHAM Sports does not know if his deal is guaranteed or not. But the point is he almost certainly sticks and the Cavs have a full roster (they could add a 15th player but many teams like to keep that slot open to both save money and have room for a two-for-one trade or to pick up someone let go by another team.
Yet 40 guys are working out to get one of about four or five camp invites to a team they cannot make. That is the kind of pressure there is on role players to keep up their game and keep their jobs.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6