Aug 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
This is how it is around the NBA right now: Some teams still have a roster space or two available, others do not, and there is a cluster of pretty talented players trying to get those spots. Even just the spots that are an invite to a training camp where they stand little to no chance of making the roster.
For example, look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Their roster is basically set, yet they have a flood of guys just looking for the chance to be at camp, reports Mary Schmitt Boyer at the Plain Dealer.
Former Atlanta forward Josh Childress will be among 40 or more free agents who will work out here as the Cavaliers continue to do their due diligence in the month leading up to the start of training camp, according to an NBA source.
The Cavaliers have 14 guys under contract, and while technically Andrew Bynum and C.J. Miles are not guaranteed, they are not going anywhere in the short term. There is also Matthew Dellavedova but SHAM Sports does not know if his deal is guaranteed or not. But the point is he almost certainly sticks and the Cavs have a full roster (they could add a 15th player but many teams like to keep that slot open to both save money and have room for a two-for-one trade or to pick up someone let go by another team.
Yet 40 guys are working out to get one of about four or five camp invites to a team they cannot make. That is the kind of pressure there is on role players to keep up their game and keep their jobs.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15