Aug 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
This is how it is around the NBA right now: Some teams still have a roster space or two available, others do not, and there is a cluster of pretty talented players trying to get those spots. Even just the spots that are an invite to a training camp where they stand little to no chance of making the roster.
For example, look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Their roster is basically set, yet they have a flood of guys just looking for the chance to be at camp, reports Mary Schmitt Boyer at the Plain Dealer.
Former Atlanta forward Josh Childress will be among 40 or more free agents who will work out here as the Cavaliers continue to do their due diligence in the month leading up to the start of training camp, according to an NBA source.
The Cavaliers have 14 guys under contract, and while technically Andrew Bynum and C.J. Miles are not guaranteed, they are not going anywhere in the short term. There is also Matthew Dellavedova but SHAM Sports does not know if his deal is guaranteed or not. But the point is he almost certainly sticks and the Cavs have a full roster (they could add a 15th player but many teams like to keep that slot open to both save money and have room for a two-for-one trade or to pick up someone let go by another team.
Yet 40 guys are working out to get one of about four or five camp invites to a team they cannot make. That is the kind of pressure there is on role players to keep up their game and keep their jobs.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 68
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32