Aug 28, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
The New York Knicks are looking for a little depth along the front line, but at this point in free agency the pickings get slim. Jeremy Tyler is going to get a look after playing with the Knicks Summer League team and averaging 12.8 points and 6.4 rebounds a game. However, the Knicks want a more veteran presence, too.
Haddadi has size — he’s a legit 7’2” and weighs north of 260 now. He spent four seasons on the Memphis bench but he was traded to Phoenix as part of the Rudy Gay deal last year. He’s not part of the Suns plans so now he is a free agent. Haddadi struggled to get on the court in Memphis and Phoenix and while he finishes fairly well around the rim and is a solid rebounder, he doesn’t bring a ton of other NBA skills to the table. Other than size.
The Pelicans are going to start Anthony Davis at the five and behind him they already have Greg Stiemsma and rookie Jeff Withey. New Orleans has a roster spot and you can’t have enough depth along the front line, so they are taking a look at Haddadi, but I’m not sure about the need. Also, are they really going to offer more than the minimum (which is all the Knicks could offer)?
The Knicks need another big on the bench as insurance. We told you before Earl Barron got a workout and Zwerling notes he still hopes to get that job. However the Knicks are looking around and may wait into training camp to see who gets cut and may become available.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11