Aug 28, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
The New York Knicks are looking for a little depth along the front line, but at this point in free agency the pickings get slim. Jeremy Tyler is going to get a look after playing with the Knicks Summer League team and averaging 12.8 points and 6.4 rebounds a game. However, the Knicks want a more veteran presence, too.
Haddadi has size — he’s a legit 7’2” and weighs north of 260 now. He spent four seasons on the Memphis bench but he was traded to Phoenix as part of the Rudy Gay deal last year. He’s not part of the Suns plans so now he is a free agent. Haddadi struggled to get on the court in Memphis and Phoenix and while he finishes fairly well around the rim and is a solid rebounder, he doesn’t bring a ton of other NBA skills to the table. Other than size.
The Pelicans are going to start Anthony Davis at the five and behind him they already have Greg Stiemsma and rookie Jeff Withey. New Orleans has a roster spot and you can’t have enough depth along the front line, so they are taking a look at Haddadi, but I’m not sure about the need. Also, are they really going to offer more than the minimum (which is all the Knicks could offer)?
The Knicks need another big on the bench as insurance. We told you before Earl Barron got a workout and Zwerling notes he still hopes to get that job. However the Knicks are looking around and may wait into training camp to see who gets cut and may become available.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 3
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 11
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)