Aug 28, 2013, 1:58 PM EST
Luke Babbitt shot up draft boards back in 2010, all the way to No. 16, where he was taken by Minnesota and traded to Portland as part of the Martell Webster deal. He was a 6’9” guy who impressed in workouts and at the Draft Combine with his scoring touch, both from inside and out.
But drafting is an inexact science. At best. Babbitt never found favor with a series of Blazers coaches, he was a tweener forward who shot better as a four (and he did hit his threes) but was a defensive liability. Outside of making shots at the end of games that won fans free Taco Bell, he never did much of note Portland. After three years of his rookie deal Portland let him go, and he couldn’t latch on with another team.
Babbitt’s agent Bill Duffy confirmed the deal saying, “My take is Luke needs to play 30 minutes a game and play a more expanded role. We’ve had recent success with both Danny Green (of the San Antonio Spurs) and Patrick Beverley (of the Houston Rockets) getting an opportunity to develop their games in Europe and return to the NBA. The NBA is a league of opportunity. We feel strongly this is the best move for Luke at this time.”
There are guys that go to Europe, improve and come back and make an impact in the NBA. But that is not the norm — usually this is the first step to a career overseas. We’ll see what happens with Babbitt.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 0
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 2
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)