Aug 28, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
This was coming for a while. The Clippers first reached out to Antawn Jamison just a week into free agency, but it was a month later when new coach Doc Rivers sat down to talk with Jamison. And it was still a little more than three weeks until last night when the two sides reached a deal.
But now it is official, the Clippers have signed Jamison to a one-year deal, the team announced Wednesday. It is a one-year deal for the veteran minimum.
Jamison will have a limited role with the Clippers off the bench but he can help the second unit because at age 37 he can still shoot the rock — 36 percent from three, 46 percent overall on his way to 9.4 points and 4.8 rebounds a game for the Lakers.
The pace and style of the Clippers should fit him better. It’s not going to be a big role, but Jamison is the kind of guy Rivers leans on both in games and in the locker room.
This news means the Clippers talks with Lamar Odom are dead. That was pretty obvious anyway, with everything he is going through personally, but this seals that fate. The Los Angeles Daily News confirms that.
Odom is going to have to show GMs he is both clean and committed to playing to get back on a roster at this point, and seems more likely to be a risk a team might take in season (after an injury forces their hand) than one teams are likely to take now.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 29
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 31
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23