Aug 27, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Whatever Danny Granger’s schedule is — hopefully taking part in training camp and being ready to go opening night — he is on it.
Pacers coach Frank Vogel was on local radio and said Granger has been making progress and they hope to have him at full strength, reports Scott Agness of Pacers.com.
“It’s really exciting. Danny is on schedule, looks really good, he’s making progress each week and we’re hoping that were going to be having a full-strength Danny Granger this year to add to this team that made a lot of noise last year.”
Notice how Vogel avoids a specific date of return there? Still, this is good news. Granger averaged 18.7 points to lead the Pacers two seasons ago, and he scored more than that the four prior seasons. He was the main offensive weapon of the Pacers.
Not anymore. Paul George is taking on the leadership role with this team and he has quality guys around him that have grown such as Roy Hibbert and George Hill. The question is where does a 30-year-old Granger coming off two knee surgeries fit into the mix? Off the bench? Or as a starter but more of a role player? Granger is not going to be quite the same player, but can he accept a lesser role whatever it may be?
The Pacers have the pieces to be contenders, they are not going to probably be as good in the regular season as Miami or even Chicago with Derrick Rose back, but the Pacers are built for the playoffs. The only question (well, outside health) is how it all the parts fit together. Frank Vogel is going to earn his paychecks this year.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8