Aug 27, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Whatever Danny Granger’s schedule is — hopefully taking part in training camp and being ready to go opening night — he is on it.
Pacers coach Frank Vogel was on local radio and said Granger has been making progress and they hope to have him at full strength, reports Scott Agness of Pacers.com.
“It’s really exciting. Danny is on schedule, looks really good, he’s making progress each week and we’re hoping that were going to be having a full-strength Danny Granger this year to add to this team that made a lot of noise last year.”
Notice how Vogel avoids a specific date of return there? Still, this is good news. Granger averaged 18.7 points to lead the Pacers two seasons ago, and he scored more than that the four prior seasons. He was the main offensive weapon of the Pacers.
Not anymore. Paul George is taking on the leadership role with this team and he has quality guys around him that have grown such as Roy Hibbert and George Hill. The question is where does a 30-year-old Granger coming off two knee surgeries fit into the mix? Off the bench? Or as a starter but more of a role player? Granger is not going to be quite the same player, but can he accept a lesser role whatever it may be?
The Pacers have the pieces to be contenders, they are not going to probably be as good in the regular season as Miami or even Chicago with Derrick Rose back, but the Pacers are built for the playoffs. The only question (well, outside health) is how it all the parts fit together. Frank Vogel is going to earn his paychecks this year.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 4
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16