Aug 27, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Whatever Danny Granger’s schedule is — hopefully taking part in training camp and being ready to go opening night — he is on it.
Pacers coach Frank Vogel was on local radio and said Granger has been making progress and they hope to have him at full strength, reports Scott Agness of Pacers.com.
“It’s really exciting. Danny is on schedule, looks really good, he’s making progress each week and we’re hoping that were going to be having a full-strength Danny Granger this year to add to this team that made a lot of noise last year.”
Notice how Vogel avoids a specific date of return there? Still, this is good news. Granger averaged 18.7 points to lead the Pacers two seasons ago, and he scored more than that the four prior seasons. He was the main offensive weapon of the Pacers.
Not anymore. Paul George is taking on the leadership role with this team and he has quality guys around him that have grown such as Roy Hibbert and George Hill. The question is where does a 30-year-old Granger coming off two knee surgeries fit into the mix? Off the bench? Or as a starter but more of a role player? Granger is not going to be quite the same player, but can he accept a lesser role whatever it may be?
The Pacers have the pieces to be contenders, they are not going to probably be as good in the regular season as Miami or even Chicago with Derrick Rose back, but the Pacers are built for the playoffs. The only question (well, outside health) is how it all the parts fit together. Frank Vogel is going to earn his paychecks this year.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5