Aug 27, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Whatever Danny Granger’s schedule is — hopefully taking part in training camp and being ready to go opening night — he is on it.
Pacers coach Frank Vogel was on local radio and said Granger has been making progress and they hope to have him at full strength, reports Scott Agness of Pacers.com.
“It’s really exciting. Danny is on schedule, looks really good, he’s making progress each week and we’re hoping that were going to be having a full-strength Danny Granger this year to add to this team that made a lot of noise last year.”
Notice how Vogel avoids a specific date of return there? Still, this is good news. Granger averaged 18.7 points to lead the Pacers two seasons ago, and he scored more than that the four prior seasons. He was the main offensive weapon of the Pacers.
Not anymore. Paul George is taking on the leadership role with this team and he has quality guys around him that have grown such as Roy Hibbert and George Hill. The question is where does a 30-year-old Granger coming off two knee surgeries fit into the mix? Off the bench? Or as a starter but more of a role player? Granger is not going to be quite the same player, but can he accept a lesser role whatever it may be?
The Pacers have the pieces to be contenders, they are not going to probably be as good in the regular season as Miami or even Chicago with Derrick Rose back, but the Pacers are built for the playoffs. The only question (well, outside health) is how it all the parts fit together. Frank Vogel is going to earn his paychecks this year.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37