Tracy McGrady discusses his Hall of Fame merits (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT

We broke down the case for Tracy McGrady making the Hall of Fame, and we believe he gets in, although it may take him a couple of tries.

McGrady joined CSN Houston and argued that his numbers should help him qualify, but overall he seems content with the career that he had, and is staying humble about his chances.

“I think my numbers match up with some of the guys that are in the Hall of Fame,” McGrady said. “Whether or not I get in or not, it really doesn’t matter to me. I’m a guy from Auburndale, Florida (with) a population of 10,000 people, grew up in a pretty bad neighborhood, so to me, I’m Hall of Fame just by making it through my career. That’s Hall of Fame to me.”

1. jsg1996 - Aug 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Yeah, I graduated high school, got a college degree and work a 9-5 job… that’s definitely hall of fame to me.

2. rodge1 - Aug 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sorry Tracy but nope.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Actually research his numbers and compare them to oh so many who are already in the HOF. After doing this you’ll have to wonder how they’d keep one who stats are better than so many who are already in the hall out…

There are many different basketball websites to give us fans info, so take you pick and look the stats up…

3. gbsfinest420 - Aug 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Anyone that says he shouldnt be in the hall of fame is probably under the age of 18… TMac was smooth and for a few years one of the top players and best scorer in the league.. Him and AI should be in there.

4. sgtsoysauce - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM

No way. I watched T-Mac since his rookie year and even with two scoring titles and 7 All-Star appearances, that doesn’t give him a spot in the HOF. He never got pass the first round (his sting with the Spurs doesn’t count), no MVPs, and significant injuries will prevent him from getting in.

Iverson, on the other hand, single-handedly took the Sixers to the Finals and pass the first round multiple times, Won multiple scoring titles, One MVP, two all-star MVPs, etc. Those are HOF numbers. T-Mac was great for a few seasons but overall he was just good just like Gilbert Arenas, Penny and Vince Carter.

• Kurt Helin - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Iverson did not single handedly take the Sixers to the finals, they have four other starters out there in part to cover his gambling defense. That was a very good defense that got enough offense to win (not unlike the Rose Bulls), without those other guys, the Sixers don’t go anywhere. Put Iverson on T-Mac’s teams and he doesn’t reach the Finals.

• sgtsoysauce - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Put Iverson on one of T-Mac’s teams and I guarantee he gets out the first round at least once.

5. buffalo65 - Aug 28, 2013 at 6:36 AM

If he’d stayed in Toronto he’d be a hall of famer for sure. Terrible decision.

6. cruzan80 - Aug 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM

He’s NOT a Hall Of Fame player. Very, very good player for a couple years but not nearly enough accomplishments to warrant being in the Hall. Holds no major records, not top 10 in anything all time, never lead a team out the 1st round, no MVP’s, no DPOY, no ROY….nothing but a bunch if all star games which are nothing but a popularity contest at the end if the day. Someone earlier posted that him & A.I. should be in their as if they are even in the same breath. A.I. one multiple scoring titles, a MVP, ROY, # 1 overall draft pick & single handily lead a Sixer team to the Finals. Add the fact that he was a cultural icon during his time in the league…it’s a no brainer for A.I…..T-Mac….not so much. Not knocking him….loved watching him play in his prime….but not an all time great.

• bougin89 - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM

He made the 1st Team All-NBA twice. 2nd Team All-NBA three times. 3rd Team All-NBA twice. He won two scoring titles.

If you’re going to argue awards at least fairly argue them.

I don’t think McGrady is a first ballot hall of famer because his career(or at least his effective career) was cut short due to injury. But for 7ish years he was a hall of fame type of player.

Players who were not as good as TMac have been enshrined.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Not top 10 in anything? Do you realize that the HOF has way more than 10 players in it? Yes, I know there are multiple categories of stats in which a player may lead in, but that’s a little much.

T-Mac is currently in 28th place ALL TIME on the NBA PER ranking. That means out of ALL the men (thousands and thousands) who have ever played in the NBA, only 27 men have a higher PER than he does.

Too many don’t know what PER is, so here is a brief blurb of what it is.

PER takes into account positive accomplishments, such as field goals, free throws, 3-pointers, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals, and negative ones, such as missed shots, turnovers and personal fouls. The formula adds positive stats and subtracts negative ones through a statistical point value system. The rating for each player is then adjusted to a per-minute basis so that, for example, substitutes can be compared with starters in playing time debates. It is also adjusted for the team’s pace. In the end, one number sums up the players’ statistical accomplishments for that season.

So as we all may see, PER incorporates much of what happens on the court.

One may not have the 28th highest PER ever out of all who have played in the NBA and not be good.

Simply look at all the players in the HOF who are below him in this ranking.

This will open right to it. Players in the HOF have an * next to their names…

• cruzan80 - Aug 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

T-Macs Rockets were waaaaay more talented than that Sixer team that A.I. took to the Finals. NEVER out the 1st round……NEVER! He was paid like a max player & treated like one…yet he never played a single game in June til this season as a garbage time player. Look, if anyone can name another NBA player who NEVER even played in the Finals (don’t you dare bring up the Spurs) I’ll rest my case. Yes, it’s team sport so not everyone is gonna win it all over the course of their career & I for one don’t see any shame in that. Players like Ewing, Barkley, Reggie Miller, A.I., Malone, & Stockton are all ringless….BUT they all competed for one at some point as the best player on that team…they just lost to the better team…..Tracy Mcgrady can’t say that.

7. rodge1 - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM

@gbsfinest420

T-Mac was a me-first teammate that was a great scorer and nothing else for a few years. His mouth made more noise than his accomplishments.

8. cruzan80 - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM

T-Macs Rockets were waaaaay more talented than that Sixer team that A.I. took to the Finals. NEVER out the 1st round……NEVER! He was paid like a max player & treated like one…yet he never played a single game in June til this season as a garbage time player. Look, if anyone can name another NBA player who NEVER even played in the Finals (don’t you dare bring up the Spurs) ill rest my case. Yes, it’s steam sport so not everyone is gonna win it all over the course of their career & I for one don’t see any shame in that. Players like Ewing, Barkley, Reggie Miller, A.I., Malone, & Stockton are all ringless….but they all competed for one…they just lost to the better team…..Tracy Mcgrady can’t say that.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches