Aug 27, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
As of right now, Hedo Turkoglu is a member of the Orlando Magic, he is under contract to them. The question is will he be one when training camp starts.
He’s not going to play much in Orlando — they are a rebuilding team playing their young guys and the 13-year NBA veteran is not part of that future (nor that helpful when he does play). Last season he only got in 11 games for the Magic and averaged 2.9 points a game on 26.4 percent shooting when he did play (he also served a 20-game suspension for testing positive for a PED).
Turkoglu is owed $12 million this season although he could be bought out for $6 million before training camp. The question for the Magic is simple: Is Turkoglu the potential trade deadline asset (teams might take on his salary now to reduce future costs) worth $6 million?
If Orlando does buy out Turkoglu he will have comfortable landing spot in his native Turkey, reports Turkish basketball writer Can Pelister.
Turkoglu has said he wants to stay in the NBA and try to reach 1,000 games played, which would mean pretty much two full seasons. Let’s be kind and call that unlikely. More likely if the Magic buy him out his NBA career ends.
Fenerbahce Ulker is one of Europe’s better franchises; the Istanbul side is a regular part of the continent-wide EuroLeague. Hedo would be a returning hero there. It might be the best outcome for all involved.
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 8
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 5
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3