Aug 27, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
As of right now, Hedo Turkoglu is a member of the Orlando Magic, he is under contract to them. The question is will he be one when training camp starts.
He’s not going to play much in Orlando — they are a rebuilding team playing their young guys and the 13-year NBA veteran is not part of that future (nor that helpful when he does play). Last season he only got in 11 games for the Magic and averaged 2.9 points a game on 26.4 percent shooting when he did play (he also served a 20-game suspension for testing positive for a PED).
Turkoglu is owed $12 million this season although he could be bought out for $6 million before training camp. The question for the Magic is simple: Is Turkoglu the potential trade deadline asset (teams might take on his salary now to reduce future costs) worth $6 million?
If Orlando does buy out Turkoglu he will have comfortable landing spot in his native Turkey, reports Turkish basketball writer Can Pelister.
Turkoglu has said he wants to stay in the NBA and try to reach 1,000 games played, which would mean pretty much two full seasons. Let’s be kind and call that unlikely. More likely if the Magic buy him out his NBA career ends.
Fenerbahce Ulker is one of Europe’s better franchises; the Istanbul side is a regular part of the continent-wide EuroLeague. Hedo would be a returning hero there. It might be the best outcome for all involved.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6