Aug 27, 2013, 12:21 AM EDT
Each year when the NBA’s freshly drafted rookies gather for the offseason photo-shoot during the summer, NBA.com surveys the group to get their thoughts on the league’s current players, as well as predictions for the future of this year’s incoming class.
While several topics were covered, one of the more interesting questions posed to the 36 rookies who were surveyed asked who was their favorite player in the league.
The winner in this category was Kobe Bryant.
1: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers — 21.2 percent
2: LeBron James, Miami — 15.2 percent
The outcome is interesting, for a variety of reasons.
Bryant is the game’s most polarizing player; fans either love him or hate him, and there is rarely any in-between. Additionally, Bryant is known for his competitive nature and his scoring ability above all else. Last year in particular, he was caught on more than one occasion not playing any type of defense whatsoever.
Still, Bryant is one of the game’s elite talents, even 17 years in. Despite LeBron James and Kevin Durant having more athleticism and pure skill at this point of their respective careers, it’s great to see the future of the game appreciate all that Bryant brings to the table.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 1
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 4
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 36
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 29
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25