Aug 27, 2013, 3:28 PM EST
Roster consistency is a good thing. Look at the final four teams left standing in the NBA last season — Miami, Indiana, Memphis and San Antonio. Every one of them is consistent. You have to make some moves to get the talent you need, but after that there is really something to be said for letting that talent jell rather than changing a lot of parts around.
So which teams stood pat and which ones shook up the roster?
John Schuhmann at NBA.com broke it down — ranked by which teams are returning players with the majority of minutes played — and found three contenders in the top four.
Despite the departure of Mike Miller, the Heat will return 95 percent of their regular-season minutes leaders, a number that leads the league by a good amount. The Thunder lost Kevin Martin, but are still returning 87 percent of last season’s minutes, a number that ranks second. The Spurs swapped Gary Neal for Marco Belinelli and obviously aren’t bringing back Stephen Jackson, but will have 82 percent of last season’s minutes on this year’s roster, a number that ranks fourth.
Who was third? The Charlotte Bobcats. Seriously. They bring a lot of players back, but they will be pretty different next season with Al Jefferson and Cody Zeller taking up a big block of minutes in the frontcourt.
The five teams with the most turnover (in order of most to least): Milwaukee, Utah, Dallas, the L.A. Lakers and Atlanta.
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 6
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)