Aug 27, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Roster consistency is a good thing. Look at the final four teams left standing in the NBA last season — Miami, Indiana, Memphis and San Antonio. Every one of them is consistent. You have to make some moves to get the talent you need, but after that there is really something to be said for letting that talent jell rather than changing a lot of parts around.
So which teams stood pat and which ones shook up the roster?
John Schuhmann at NBA.com broke it down — ranked by which teams are returning players with the majority of minutes played — and found three contenders in the top four.
Despite the departure of Mike Miller, the Heat will return 95 percent of their regular-season minutes leaders, a number that leads the league by a good amount. The Thunder lost Kevin Martin, but are still returning 87 percent of last season’s minutes, a number that ranks second. The Spurs swapped Gary Neal for Marco Belinelli and obviously aren’t bringing back Stephen Jackson, but will have 82 percent of last season’s minutes on this year’s roster, a number that ranks fourth.
Who was third? The Charlotte Bobcats. Seriously. They bring a lot of players back, but they will be pretty different next season with Al Jefferson and Cody Zeller taking up a big block of minutes in the frontcourt.
The five teams with the most turnover (in order of most to least): Milwaukee, Utah, Dallas, the L.A. Lakers and Atlanta.
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 2
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 1
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 4
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 24
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1