Aug 27, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Roster consistency is a good thing. Look at the final four teams left standing in the NBA last season — Miami, Indiana, Memphis and San Antonio. Every one of them is consistent. You have to make some moves to get the talent you need, but after that there is really something to be said for letting that talent jell rather than changing a lot of parts around.
So which teams stood pat and which ones shook up the roster?
John Schuhmann at NBA.com broke it down — ranked by which teams are returning players with the majority of minutes played — and found three contenders in the top four.
Despite the departure of Mike Miller, the Heat will return 95 percent of their regular-season minutes leaders, a number that leads the league by a good amount. The Thunder lost Kevin Martin, but are still returning 87 percent of last season’s minutes, a number that ranks second. The Spurs swapped Gary Neal for Marco Belinelli and obviously aren’t bringing back Stephen Jackson, but will have 82 percent of last season’s minutes on this year’s roster, a number that ranks fourth.
Who was third? The Charlotte Bobcats. Seriously. They bring a lot of players back, but they will be pretty different next season with Al Jefferson and Cody Zeller taking up a big block of minutes in the frontcourt.
The five teams with the most turnover (in order of most to least): Milwaukee, Utah, Dallas, the L.A. Lakers and Atlanta.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 0
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 7
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 12
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 37
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27