Aug 27, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
The Finals series between the Heat and the Spurs was epic not only because it took all seven games to decide, but because of the extremely high overall level of play that was displayed by both teams throughout.
It’s also likely to be among the most painful to remember by the losing team’s players.
San Antonio held a 3-2 series lead in Game 6, and was up by five with 28 seconds to play before Miami made its somewhat miraculous comeback. Without another season yet started to give the Spurs new memories to bury these ones that are just two months old, it’s not surprising that the way their championship chase ended is still on their minds.
How was the feeling following the Finals after losing against the Heat?
Boris Diaw: It was tough, it’s never easy to lose. It was a tough time, you think about it… You try to take it off your mind. But there’s nothing you can change about it. Sometimes I still think about it, I’m still very disappointed that we lost. The only thing you can do is come back next year and try to do it again.
Was there one moment at the end of Game 6, before Ray Allen hit the three, that you thought ‘We are champions’?
Boris Diaw: Not champions but when we were +5 of course we were like, ‘OK, that’s pretty good so far’. We were pretty close but we weren’t champions yet.
The three from Ray Allen will go down as one of the biggest shots in NBA history, and the Spurs can take some comfort in knowing that’s only part of what it took to beat them in the series. Over time, the frustration may subside. But it’s still too fresh to be forgotten about just yet.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30