Aug 27, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
The Finals series between the Heat and the Spurs was epic not only because it took all seven games to decide, but because of the extremely high overall level of play that was displayed by both teams throughout.
It’s also likely to be among the most painful to remember by the losing team’s players.
San Antonio held a 3-2 series lead in Game 6, and was up by five with 28 seconds to play before Miami made its somewhat miraculous comeback. Without another season yet started to give the Spurs new memories to bury these ones that are just two months old, it’s not surprising that the way their championship chase ended is still on their minds.
How was the feeling following the Finals after losing against the Heat?
Boris Diaw: It was tough, it’s never easy to lose. It was a tough time, you think about it… You try to take it off your mind. But there’s nothing you can change about it. Sometimes I still think about it, I’m still very disappointed that we lost. The only thing you can do is come back next year and try to do it again.
Was there one moment at the end of Game 6, before Ray Allen hit the three, that you thought ‘We are champions’?
Boris Diaw: Not champions but when we were +5 of course we were like, ‘OK, that’s pretty good so far’. We were pretty close but we weren’t champions yet.
The three from Ray Allen will go down as one of the biggest shots in NBA history, and the Spurs can take some comfort in knowing that’s only part of what it took to beat them in the series. Over time, the frustration may subside. But it’s still too fresh to be forgotten about just yet.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 4
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)