Tracy McGrady announces retirement from NBA

Aug 26, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT

Tracy-McGrady-looks-toward-the-future.-Getty-Images Getty Images

Tracy McGrady, one of the best and most versatile scorers of his generation, has decided to hang up his NBA sneakers.

McGrady made the announcement on ESPN’s First Take.

McGrady, 34, started last season playing in China then upon his return was picked up by the San Antonio Spurs and was a little-used reserve on the team that made a run to the NBA Finals. My guess is he may play again in China next season, but he says he is done with the NBA.

McGrady ends his Hall of Fame worthy career with an impressive resume — two-time NBA scoring champion, two-time All-NBA First Team, seven time All-Star

McGrady was the No. 9 pick of the Toronto Raptors back in 1997 directly out of Florida’s Auburndale high school. He and Vince Carter teamed up in Canada to make one of the more entertaining teams of the past couple decades. But McGrady burned a lot of bridges north of the border when he bolted for the Magic and signed a massive free agent contract.

McGrady’s best season likely came in Orlando, when in 2002-03 he averaged 32.1 points a game while carrying the Magic, using 35.2 percent of the team’s offense when he was on the court. He had a PER of 30.3 that season (for comparison, that would have been better than everyone in the NBA but LeBron James last five seasons).

There was a time when it was a legitimate debate as to who would have the better career, Kobe Bryant or McGrady. But McGrady started to have health issues and was never on a team he could lift out of the playoffs in the first round. When McGrady and Yao Ming teamed in in Houston it was thought they could form a contender, but both stars were betrayed by their bodies (while they had good role players around them but the team could not advance).

That said, McGrady should be in the Hall of Fame some day, one of the best of his generation and one of the games best pure scorers ever.

1. xblthatguy - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Enjoy retirement Tmac. I would have enjoyed to see him end it with a title though.

2. fballlvr22 - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

When he was healthy, he was one of the most fun players to watch.

3. xLith - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Very sad to hear. San Antonio is a rival for the Rockets so it was hard but I did cheer for them to win the finals this year, if only for T-Mac to get a ring. I was bummed for him.

When the Rockets were playing mediocre (even with Yao) for so long and he came to Houston, I was so reinvigorated as a fan. Thanks for giving us something to cheer for again in Houston T-Mac. Best wishes in your retirement.

4. 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I hate career derailing injuries!!!

Good luck for the future T Mac, and thank you for your services, and keeping us entertained when it was all good.

13 points in 35 seconds!!

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

That’s the first and last time Duncan fell for that pump fake.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

That was amazing. That was better than any 1-minute comeback performance I’ve ever seen.

• kb2408 - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thanks for sharing….that was freakin awesome!!

• pinhead2 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM

As a long-time Spurs fan, that 30-second 13pt tirade was the first thing I thought of reading this article. He and Yao never proved out in Houston, which was too bad, but McGrady had tremendous skills and was a fantastic scoring machine when he was on.

5. themagicfanguy - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Loved watching Tmac play! Have a good retirement, will always remember watching him play at Amway.

6. raidmagic - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

****sigh***** Still love you in Orlando TMAC.

7. nycalldayz - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM

34 is kind of young to retire. Though T-Mac wasn’t the same player as he was 8 or 9 yrs ago, Tracy still had a bit left. If it wasn’t for T-Mac’s injury history he would still be playing today. And I just found out Mac will be working for ESPN. Couldn’t he of went to NBATV instead? LOL

• xLith - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yeah but keep in mind he joined the league in 97 and was straight out of high school. He’s had a lot of wear and tear on his already unforgiving body.

• ryanrockzzz - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Is he really..wow, everyone and their brother works for ESPN now when they retire. Hey the more minds you have to make up news the better…

8. senioreditor2 - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Am I the ONLY one that doesn’t think he belongs in the Hall?????????????

• bougin89 - Aug 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Well the NBA standards for the Basketball Hall of Fame aren’t exactly high compared to the other major sports in the US. McGrady had a 7 maybe 8 year run where he was elite. That should definitely be good enough to get in, IMO.

9. deshackle - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

T-Mac retired a long time ago.

10. ryanrockzzz - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Not sure if he belong in the HOF. To me, he was more in the “hall of very good.” Really he has been a non-factor for a while now, and for me a little more longevity would help his case. Sad that T-Mac couldn’t help getting injured, and even though I wouldn’t want him in the HOF, he had a great career.

11. klownboy - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I love T-Mac, and I feel bad that he had a rough go of leading a team to the second round of the playoffs during his prime. A HOF’er? That’s a possibility, probably not on the first ballot though.

12. kb2408 - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

A few years ago a friend of mine and I were debating who was better, T-Mac or Kobe. He said T-Mac, I said Kobe. This was right after T-Mac had won his first scoring title. Both players were in their prime and even as a huge Kobe and LAKERS fan I had to admit it was very close as to which player was better. I thought Kobe was just a little more versatile offensively and better defensively. But T-Mac was a very, very good player in his own right. I hate when we get cheated out of watching potential greatness (T-Mac, Grant Hill, Jason Williams (Duke), due to injuries. Happy trails….T-Mac!!!

• kb2408 - Aug 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Add Yao Ming, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden and Bobby Hurley to my list as well.

13. Matt Gilchrist - Aug 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

There is no doubt that McGrady was a prime-time scorer, and had a couple of All-NBA seasons, but I can’t help but question his Hall of Fame credentials. He might have played 15 years in the league, but lets be realistic, he hasn’t been relevant for at least the last 5 of them. I think that one of the knocks against McGrady for me is his inability to lift a team through the playoffs. The fact that he didn’t get his first playoff series victory until last year, when he was riding the San Antonio bench, says alot about his career. It’s not like he played on horrible teams, either….he just was not the type of player that seemed to be able to put his team on his back and lift them when it counted.

He is definitely eligible fo the Hall of Very Good, but when I think Hall of Famer, I think of someone who made serious contributions to a playoff team, year in and year out. On the scale of great players, I think I will put him right in between Vince Carter, who may squeeze into the Hall, and Antawn Jamison, who in the end will probably miss the call.

14. jabronikid - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Adidas curse!!! Next up DHoward, DRose and John Wall… Kobe’s lucky he switched to Nike.

15. buffalo65 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Should’ve stayed in Toronto. Oh what could have been.

16. wsuperman4445 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Shout out to Lamar Odom.. care to join the list? Iverson, Tmac, and stop the drama!

17. necr0philia - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Favorite T-Mac moment was the Dunk off the back board in the All star game over 3 people and shook off 4 defenders! The 5th player wanted no part of being Posterized!

18. bjerkrulez - Aug 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Some of the people here may be younger hehe

I believe he belongs to the HOF, he scored 20 or more for 8 straight seasons. He was a regular 20 5 5 guy in the league. Most of you remember the Tmac after the back issues. But when he was with the magic, he and kobe were considered the top 2 players in the league

19. joowishy - Aug 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

This is why the NBA is weak now. TMac is NO hall of famer. Never made it past first round of playoffs as a star. He did on bench with Spurs.

20. joowishy - Aug 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches