Aug 26, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Maurice Cheeks has one of the tougher coaching jobs in the NBA this season.
While the NBA zigged toward efficiency and advanced stats, Joe Dumars zagged and built a roster with players other teams were hesitant on — Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings mainly. The Pistons got better but the question is how much better? Playoff better? Their defense will be good, but on offense they will face defenses that pack the paint and dare them to shoot jumpers.
So who does Cheeks start on these new-look Pistons? Vince Ellis at the Detroit Free Press took a stab at it.
C: Andre Drummond: Probably works better with Jennings.
PF: Greg Monroe: Team hopes he fits with Drummond.
SF: Josh Smith: Crowded paint still a concern.
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope: Skill set better with the starters.
PG: Brandon Jennings: Make no mistake — he will be the starter.
C: Monroe: Could be his best position.
PF: Smith: Could lessen spacing issues here.
SF: Luigi Datome: Shooting desperately needed.
SG: Rodney Stuckey: Probably more effective off bench.
PG: Chauncey Billups: Will probably get 20 minutes per game.
Caldwell-Pope becomes a key linchpin as a rookie in this scenario — the problem is that Drummond and Monroe can’t really score much outside eight feet, and frankly neither does Josh Smith but he’ll happily shoot from there despite hitting 30.5 percent from the midrange and 30.3 percent from three last season. The Pistons need floor spacing and Jennings isn’t going to bring it with his 38.4 percent from the midrange or his step-back three.
Caldwell-Pope and Datome have to provide shooting to make this work. They become key to the team’s success. So the rookie starts and on a team of bigger stars he will be important.
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 4
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 9
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 21
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6