Aug 26, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
Maurice Cheeks has one of the tougher coaching jobs in the NBA this season.
While the NBA zigged toward efficiency and advanced stats, Joe Dumars zagged and built a roster with players other teams were hesitant on — Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings mainly. The Pistons got better but the question is how much better? Playoff better? Their defense will be good, but on offense they will face defenses that pack the paint and dare them to shoot jumpers.
So who does Cheeks start on these new-look Pistons? Vince Ellis at the Detroit Free Press took a stab at it.
C: Andre Drummond: Probably works better with Jennings.
PF: Greg Monroe: Team hopes he fits with Drummond.
SF: Josh Smith: Crowded paint still a concern.
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope: Skill set better with the starters.
PG: Brandon Jennings: Make no mistake — he will be the starter.
C: Monroe: Could be his best position.
PF: Smith: Could lessen spacing issues here.
SF: Luigi Datome: Shooting desperately needed.
SG: Rodney Stuckey: Probably more effective off bench.
PG: Chauncey Billups: Will probably get 20 minutes per game.
Caldwell-Pope becomes a key linchpin as a rookie in this scenario — the problem is that Drummond and Monroe can’t really score much outside eight feet, and frankly neither does Josh Smith but he’ll happily shoot from there despite hitting 30.5 percent from the midrange and 30.3 percent from three last season. The Pistons need floor spacing and Jennings isn’t going to bring it with his 38.4 percent from the midrange or his step-back three.
Caldwell-Pope and Datome have to provide shooting to make this work. They become key to the team’s success. So the rookie starts and on a team of bigger stars he will be important.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 9
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5