Aug 26, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
The Indiana Pacers have already handed out 13 guaranteed contracts for next season, leaving two spots available for potential role players ready to contribute. One of the players vying for that opportunity will be Ron Howard, a longtime standout for the Pacers’ NBA Development League affiliate Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
Howard will attend vet camp with the Pacers, a league source told Pro Basketball Talk, after averaging 19.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.1 assists this past season in the D-League. The man known as Mr. Mad Ant will turn 31 in November, but he’s continued to improve since entering the D-League through an open tryout prior to the 2007 season.
Howard put up a career-best 18.2 PER for the Mad Ants last season while helping lead the team to its first playoff berth in six seasons. He showed that an old dog can learn new tricks in the process, too, as the 6-foot-5 swingman played more point guard than he had at any other point in his career.
The former Valparaiso standout has participated in three previous vet camps — two with the Milwaukee Bucks and one with the Knicks — but has never appeared on an NBA team’s regular season roster. He’s hoping that changes this year, however, considering another only five other players have played more career minutes in the D-League’s history … and that’s a list nobody wants to move up on at this stage of their career.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 0
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 4
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)