Report: Lamar Odom not missing

Aug 26, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT

Lamar Odom

Lamar Odom’s drug abuse was recently reported by TMZ, and the news organization followed that with a report that Odom is missing. If true, an ugly situation for Odom is getting only uglier.

But another report contradicts that one. ESPN:

Free-agent forward Lamar Odom is in a Los Angeles hotel, where friends are trying to get him help for an unspecified drug problem, a source told ESPN on Monday.The information comes after Odom’s agent refuted a TMZ report Sunday that his client had been missing for 72 hours after a dispute with his wife, Khloe Kardashian.Agent Jeff Schwartz would not reveal Odom’s whereabouts, telling ESPN.com’s Marc Stein earlier Monday: “Lamar is not missing. His wife knows exactly where he is.”

I haven’t crossed paths with Odom lately, so I can’t personally vouch for his whereabouts. I also don’t know for certain Schwartz can either. He’s paid to present Odom in the best light possible, and acknowledging Odom has disappeared makes Odom look even worse than he did a day ago.Schwartz continues that Odom wants to continue playing in the NBA, so it’s easy to see why the agent would try to stem the tide of recent negative stories.But that won’t be enough.Any team that would even consider signing Odom – and there might not a single one – certainly won’t accept Schwartz at his word. Maybe Schwartz is telling the absolute truth, but at this point, Odom will have to demonstrate a much greater control of his life before getting another NBA job.

1. lew24 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Unfortunately, he’s been missing for two years!

• spthegr8 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Not looking good for my man L.O. Seem’s like since he got with K.K. He has been T.K.O’d!!!! Many of men have fallen because some Beyotch messed their head up!!

• ambitoos - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM

You are so right.

2. kb2408 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Screw playing in the NBA, his life could be at stake!!

3. cbking05 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

So is Lamar ballin’ or 8 ballin’ this year…that’s all we want to know

4. phaden27 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

All will be revealed in the documentary: The White Lines made me Marry a Swine.

5. fearthehoody - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Whitney Houston put it best, “Crack is wack.”

• redsoxfan75 - Aug 27, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Yep , and look at how good she turned out !

6. bougin89 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I still can’t help but think this is just a ploy for TV ratings for the Kardashian’s “reality” show.

The last two years Odom has been pretty terrible. Is there any upside in signing this guy either way at this point?

7. zacksdad - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM

The Lakers will sign him. They are desperate and Jimmie needs to take another chance. This chance is not as bad as the D’Antoni hire. Playing with Kobe and Lakers might help him get back to semi-normal.

• sophie1150 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Playing with Kobe is enough to turn any normal person into an addict. On top of that, add in the whacky Kardashian bunch.

8. j0esixpack - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I must be alone in feeling sympathy towards Odom but perhaps that’s because I met him when he was just a kid in college.

He was a nice and quiet kid with a huge amount of natural talent who had overcome the adversity of his childhood to make a name for himself in college and then make a go of an NBA career.

When he landed in LA I was concerned about that type of big city high pressure environment was the worst thing for him. I was wrong – winding up with Kardashians and having to have his life part of a reality TV show was much worse.

Although I’m rooting for him to continue his basketball career, I’d prefer to see him take a step back, keep himself out of the limelight and just live what could and should be a very full life.

9. scrap7681 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM

He apparently went into hiding after telling his agent, “I see your Schwartz is bigger than my Schwartz!”

• jimeejohnson - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

May the Schwartz be with you/

10. harper2 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I just want to know how and when he allowed himself to get involved with something serious like crack….

11. mattblues110 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Maybe he’s hiding from the Kardashians.

12. tannethrill - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. It’s just a little crack cocaine. Geez, it’s 2013.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Missed yer sarcasm. Excellent.

13. tigers182 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Oh who cares. Take your equally untalented, obese wife and get out of the spotlight.

14. jimeejohnson - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Drugs like cocaine make you hide from yourself. Trouble ahead, trouble behind.

15. yuwannano - Aug 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

So Lamar isn’t missing? But he’s still a crackhead right?

16. miamatt - Aug 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Funny. You coulda fooled me.

17. skinsfanwill - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

How the hell do you end up a crackhead while you are STILL playing basketball in this day and age? I could see if he got broke, retired, or his wife left him.

18. sidneyz - Aug 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I wouldn’t believe anything that comes out of the Kardasian camp. All they care about is manufacturing stories for increased ratings. And TMZ is the lowest form of Over Hyped Tabloid Journalism. It amazes me how many people get sucked into watching this garbage.

19. dysraw1 - Aug 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

i really wish the Queens native well

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches