Aug 26, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
It’s early in the 2027-28 season, and the Lakers have struggled to a 1-4 start.
The year before, an aging Kyrie Irving helped lead the Lakers to the North American Conference Finals, but they ran out of gas and were swept by Seattle. Still, the Lakers brought back their core, including Coach Monty Williams, who led the Lakers to championships in 2023 and 2024.
Suddenly, the Lakers look old, and fans are calling for Williams to be fired. Who’s their preferred replacement?
82-year-old Phil Jackson.
At least that’s whom Mike D’Antoni believes Lakers fans would want in that scenario. Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:
No, the specter of Phil Jackson never quite left the Lakers.
“I think anybody that comes in here the next 10, 15 years, it’s going to be that way,” D’Antoni said. “I don’t think there is any doubt that he was so good and so large and he’s still sitting out there.
“Had that bothered me, I shouldn’t have taken the job because you know it’s going to be there. I wasn’t stupid enough to think that, ‘Oh, they won’t remember him.’ Sure they will. It doesn’t really affect what we do day-to-day and how we approach the game.”
It’s really a credit to Jackson’s reputation that fans have largely forgotten about the end of his last tenure. In 2011, the Lakers self-destructed in a second-round sweep at the hands of the Mavericks. Maybe, just maybe, Jackson was too old to put the necessary energy into coaching.
Nah, nevermind. Just keep assuming for the next 15 years that Jackson will win his 12 championship as soon as a team hires him.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 5
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (43)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)